Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove mushroom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
upsidedownfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsidedownfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove mushroom
    Posted: January 07 2012 at 3:57pm
Hi,  What is to best way to remove the mushroom fron the rock without killing them.  I got too much growing and growing too fast.  thanks for the help
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 4:44pm
Scrape / chisel them off. They are difficult to kill. You don't need to worry about being too gentle.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 5:23pm
+1 to that. I would just take a razor blade and scrape around the base and slowly work your way underneath it. It actually may let go on it's own, and if it doesn't it should heal up pretty quickly. I've done this several times and they are always looking great within hours.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 9:40pm
If you are looking to more the mushroom to another location or tank simply cut it off the rock with a pair of scissors and put it in the desired place and put a mesh covering over it for a few days and let it attach there.  Another will grow back on the rock you cut it from in a matter of a few days to a few weeks.

If you are like me and you're thinking "I don't want that dang mushroom on that rock" and want to completely remove it you must find a way to remove every last speck of mushroom flesh from the rock.  The easiest way is by removing the part of the rock it is attached to, but easiest, does not mean easy.  Basically whatever you do if you leave any tiny trace of flesh on the rock it is likely to grow into a mushroom again.  They are basically like Aptasia that way only in my experience much more difficult to kill.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm currently loosing the mushroom battle myself.  The only way I ever had 100% success is to remove the rock from the tank and put it out in the hot sun or cold winter for a couple weeks.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 11:04am
I have also removed mushrooms in similar ways. I just cut it off and increased flow to help remove floating bits of the mushroom. In the area where the mushroom was I usually scrape and slightly crush bits of the rock to get it all off. If that doesn't work I use it as an excuse to go buy some nice zoas or some frag to put in its place...and use epoxy to completely cover the area the mushrooms were growing in.
upsidedownfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsidedownfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 9:56am
Thank you for all your help, I cut them off and used tooth brush to clean of the rest from the rock. My rock is very big and not easy to move for chip off the mushroom. I will post with the update in few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic