Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Part Dosing Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Part Dosing Question
    Posted: January 07 2012 at 7:08pm

Does anyone put additives in their two part dosing system?  Like strontium in with the calc or vitamins in with the alk?

I'm trying to find a good cheap solution for alk.  I've been using reef builder by seachem that is sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate mixed together with some microelements - (which has been working quite well, just a bit expensive).  Has anyone tried mixing soda ash and baking soda together for an alk suppliment.  I'm wondering if they will cause problems with each other or if a better idea is to alternate between one and the other.

Thoughts?
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 9:51pm
In general these are chemicals that in concentrated form don't mix well together without special formulations.
It's easy to do a homemade Alk additive but almost impossible for the home chemist to mix in any other chemical.
Sodium Carbonate and Bicarbonate together, you ask? Smile That's exactly what we do. Sift together 4 parts sodium bicarb (baking soda) with 1 part sodium carb (baking soda that's been baked in the oven at 400 for an hour) and there you have it.

#2 - Ca additive is simple with pure Calcium Chloride Ice Melt product purchased at Walmart. etc.

#3 most important additive is Mg. That is done with equal parts of Epsom Salt (again from the grocery store) and Magnesium Chloride easily purchased from health stores or online

I believe this is described in the Tips below. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 10:00pm
Oh and to make the convenient liquid solution of each of those three, just dissolve as much as will dissolve in RO water. Leftover residue at the bottom of the bottle is no harm and can be left to be dissolved when the bottle needs to be refilled. Smile It's very simple, no need to measure the dry ingredients, but do keep track of how much liquid to add at each dosing by regularly testing the Alk, Ca and Mg levels. Make sense?

For the other trace elements/minerals it's easiest just to buy a combination bottle and dose it weekly or so.
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 12:31pm
Mark - Have you used as a good all in one mix bottle, anything specific for a good price you found?

Is Magnesium Chloride sold on it's own or is it in the form of ice melt or something similar?
Large Fishey Room
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 3:47pm
Honestly, it's been too long since I had to buy some. Embarrassed
The old reliables are:
Kent Coral-Vite and Essential Elements
SeaChem Reef Complete and Reef Plus
I'd do a search for "coral supplements" and then come back here to ask for peoples experience with them.

IMO, ~90% of coral stability and growth comes from good tank conditions helped with regular water changes and relatively stable parameters of salinity, temperature, Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Personally, I found that the biggest jump in coral growth and color came when I placed my tanks in the window where they got at least 4 hours of direct sunlight or in a window with indirect sunlight all day long. Sunlight is awesome. Smile
iriedodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriedodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 5:28pm

Just an FYI - I Found Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate (CAS No. 007791-18-6)

Locally at NPS for ~$6.99 / 50 lb. bag

Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 6:37pm
WOW cheap cheap cheap, good ol nps.
Large Fishey Room
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic