Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acrylic scratch removal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acrylic scratch removal.
    Posted: January 17 2012 at 5:54pm
Is there any PROVEN (concrete, solid) method to remove scratches from my acrylic tanks? The scratches are killing me. I contacted my local glass body work shops and they informed me that there is no way to get rid of them but the person I purchased the tank from told me that he had taken the tank to a body shop and had them buff the scratches out. Someone is lying to me and I would like to have it cleared up. Thanks in advance. 
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 6:13pm
Yes, you can get scratches out of acrylic. It takes more then just buffing. You need to wet sand it first. It depends on how deep the scratches are but if they are deep you need to start sanding with 800 and work your way up to 2000 grit. So start with 800,1000,1500 then finish with 2000 and start buffing. I use 3M automotive grade polishing compound. It is a TON of work but is possible. I have done quite a few tanks and if you have access to an air compressor, da sander and an electric buffer it isn't to bad. The body shop probably told you it wasn't possible because they didn't want to do it lol.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 6:24pm
Awesome. Thank you very much this info has helped me out a lot
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 11:00am
Smile
And then there is Micro Mesh.
Look it up on the web. It comes in grits from 2000 to 10000. It is used underwater.
Not that long ago, I worked at MSM (Mountain Shadow Marine in Centerville) and even though I already had around 15 years in this hobby, starting the WMAS, visiting hundreds of hobbyists and learning from them, I was able to learn a lot more at MSM. They developed a technique for their maintenance account's acrylic tanks that is absolutely awesome. We did it at every regular maintenance. Little by little the big scratches that people had put into their own tanks were removed by MSM personnel. The customers loved us. Smile Be prepared, it takes a lot of "elbow grease".

It requires a strong magnet algae scraper like the "Algae Free" brand. Wrap the Micro Mesh around the floating inside magnet with a piece of soft acrylic algae cleaning pad material in between. Be sure to place an extra felt pad on the outside magnet because you don't want to scratch the outside while removing the inside scratches.
The Micro Mesh is also available in a kit. It's this:
Lifegard Aquatics Acrylic Scratch Removal Kit 72000

You're welcome. Smile This is the kind of Tip that is worth a membership in the WMAS.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 18 2012 at 11:12am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 8:42pm
Mark, I actually have this kit and a friend tried wet sanding it on an empty 75 gallon tank I gave him and he told me that after a few hours of scrubbing he gave up lol granted he was not using a magnet but now im curious to try this on my tank. The grits range from 1500 to 12000. Do you think if I try hard enough with the 1500 I will get somewhere?  
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 1:00am
If you bring the tank into the store, and can leave it for a week, we can get just about ANY scratch out of acrylic (as long as it is less than a 1/16 of an inch deep).  Even deep scratches can be buffed so that you can hardly see them, and as long as the acrylic is thick enough I can buff it out and feather it so it does not distort.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 2:17am
Yes, bad scratches take a long, long time to remove, especially if it's filled with reef animals.

If the tank is not currently in use, it's better to let ReefOn have it or scrap it.
I'm embarrassed that I forgot to ask what size this tank is? If it's anything less than 100 gallons I'd scrap it and buy a used glass tank.
In my opinion it's just not worth more than $100 to have this work done. There is a glass 120 gal tank for sale here on the MB for $150. It's drilled with overflows so that's a bonus.
This is just my opinion Smile

Another factual consideration is the tank's age. From all the tanks I've seen, an acrylic tank older than 7 years is not worth repairing. The plastic reaches a certain age where it becomes too brittle and nothing can fix it. There is a condition called Crazing. Crazing is thin, almost invisible, spider web like, jagged shatter lines occurring mostly near weld joints(corners). It is a serious indication of old age and weakening. It occurs because some of the chemicals used to create and hold the polymer/acrylic molecules together in the first place are slowly but continually evaporating. Water on the inside slows the chemical's evaporation on the inside. This means that leaving an acrylic tank to sit dry actually accelerates crazing and weakening because the evaporation is occurring on both sides of the panels.

Acrylic can be formed into cool shaped aquariums so it's interesting that way. The only other advantage I know of is that it is lighter weight than glass, but that advantage only lasts for the time it takes to lift it into place.

Again, my 2 cents worth Tongue
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 7:37am
The tank is a 120 gallon and I have considered a glass replacement numerous times because its the little things that bother me lol and seeing those scratches kills me. Where exactly is this tank for $150? 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 8:07am

Here is the tank Mark is talking about:

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53612&title=lf-120-set-up

(Look for the post from Wade)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you decide to keep the acrylic tank I recommend having an 'expert' do the scratch removal & buffing for you.

I have tried to do it on 2 different tanks using the DIY kits, and I was not happy with the results either time.

I had Tyler (Elite Aquatics) remove the scratches in my 93 Cube and it came back looking brand new...

I'm sure Jerry over at ReefOn would do the same great job. These guys are pros and have way more experience than you or I would.

To me it was well worth the expense to get a new-looking tank back.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the help fellas. I would leave the tank out for a week but its my display tank and I have nowhere else to house my livestock/ corals. At this point I am hoping Wade gets back to me soon because I will be in Utah tomorrow (I am coming out of WY.) and I will be swapping stands this weekend making it the perfect opportunity for a replacement. On that note, if anyone else has a glass 120 up for sale for around the 150 price tag let me know! Thanks again. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 5:42pm
That's it. Bob, you're awesome.
Hug Isn't this group fantastic. So many friends, Wade included. Thumbs Up
Years ago, Wade bought a tank and I helped him move it. It had a Flatworm epidemic. He and I dipped every rock, every coral, everything in a tub of freshwater before placing it back in the tank in it's new home at his house. Some of the best 8 hours I ever spent. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic