Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LFS in St. George!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FishandFrags View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishandFrags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LFS in St. George!
    Posted: January 18 2012 at 4:36pm
Hello All!

Just a quick introduction, over the weekend I purchased the LFS for sale in St. George in this thread:
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52421&KW=&PID=440294&title=lfs-for-sale-in-st-george#440294

I'm working out all the legal details with the feds/state/city and hope to bring a local resource to the residents in the St. George area, if not before, around the middle of February. (Then I have to try and figure out the moving of the family from northern Utah to southern!)

I'm interested in hearing from the southern Utah locals for input regarding what they're looking for in a LFS! I've established a Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fish-and-Frags/186512684777318
and can also be reached at
[email protected]

Thanks all! this is such a rewarding hobby, I can't wait to help others along!

See you all soon!
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 12:56am
This is awesome. Welcome to the 'owners club'..lol... Look forward to long hours with less pay than you want, lots of stress and late nights putting corals and fish shipments away.... oh yeah, just got back from the store and putting a shipment away.. 1am

I will be stopping by on my next trip through St George. 

If you have any questions or need someone to talk to, feel free to drop me a line anytime

Jerry
(801)563-0600

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:11am
I'm glad to see that Tracy and Wendi Evans sold their store.
Would you mind telling us your name, how long you've been in the hobby and if you have previously been a guest or member here?
Best of luck to you.

I guess my advice would be to not try to compete with Sue's Pet Castle, they have been there so long they are an icon, but instead, show off modern reefkeeping Methods, Tips and Techniques with awesome stock at reasonable prices. That's what will differentiate you from Sue's and attract business. Most hobbyists everywhere will visit all the LFS in their area so if you are good you will grow.

Can you put an A-Frame sign out in front of Costco? There's a lot of traffic going in and out of there. Because of Tracy being closed for what seems like 6 months, he lost a lot of business. There was no information that his store was relocating. People had no idea that he had re-opened and some still had no idea of the stores existence. The store was too often closed during normal business hours so some people I know gave up on him.

There was a small LFS that started up and only lasted for a year (because of mismanagement) almost directly across from The Living Aquarium on the North side of the Freeway in a strip mall. It had the advantage of being very visible so some people knew about it but still didn't know about The Living Aquarium.

If you ask, I can give you the list of people I made friends with and started holding Southern Utah WMAS meetings with.

There are several competitive advertising coupon booklets that circulate in St. George. They might help people learn about your existence. Also if it's allowed, a removable A-Frame sign or a person swinging a sign on the street near Sue's could make your existence known.

My last idea - When Shawn Bought Aquatica in Orem 10 years ago, he went the extra mile to make an email signup list where he communicated his store specials mpnthly. The store was already an established LFS, but I never saw an LFS grow so fast as his did in those first years.

I guess I had more to say than I realized. Embarrassed
My wife wanted me to buy Tracy's store so she could return to St George, but right now we are where we need to be. Hope it works out for you. 
Have fun.Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 10:00am
Yeah! I'll be going to St George in a few weeks!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 10:01am
Conrats Phil on buying the LFS! Good luck I look forward to hearing your success and seeing your store!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishandFrags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 11:24am
Thanks Jerry! When do the owners club meet? LOL! I'm already an insomniac so the long hours should be okay to deal with. I'd definately love the oppurtunity to chat with you.

Mark, my name is Phil (philhender), I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 10 years with both fresh and SW aquariums, and I am a paid member of the forum.  Thanks for the tips, anything and every tidbit of information I can glean is welcomed.  I've been to Sue's, while they are a similiar business, they have their hands full with many other avenues.  I'm planning my business ethics, honesty and customer service will take care of any 'competing' I may have to do. I'd love to know of your contacts in the area, and will PM you once the doors are open for business.

The storefront and displays, I have plans to slowly change a few things, in efforts to inspire and help hobbyists I plan to differ from other LFS and start displaying other items beyond just display tanks.  I plan my displays to be all inclusive and 'show' what is normally hidden in homes and businesses, items such as sumps, refugiums, controllers, RO systems, etc.

Hydro, I hope to get all the red tape done soon, but anytime anyone passes through St. George, please drop in and say hi. I will update this post when I have the doors officially open!

Thanks disney!

See you all soon!

Phil
Fish and Frags

Facebook
(435) 627-1777
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:07pm
Good luck I wish you the best!  I need to correct Mark on a few things I opened Aquatica after purchasing some equipment from a failing store called Ocean LIfe almost 12 years ago .  Similar situation as yours.  Reinvest all of the capital you bring in, I kept working my full time job for the first year of operation and didn't take home a check.  I actually kept a Customer address list not an E-mail list.  Every month I mailed USPS post cards with certain specials and info that my customers may be interested in.  It really worked well.  My list started from Ocean Life's @ about 230 people, today it is over 8000 (Local)  Work hard, be honest and make sure this is your life long dream...

Most of all  Have Fun!  (after all of the Blood, sweat and tears)

Shawn
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:59pm
Congratulations Phil. Yes, I remember you. I have a feeling you'll do well. From what I recall, the tank maintenance accounts may keep you afloat financially, as the retail business grows.

Thanks Shawn, for the corrections. It was so long ago and I'm growing older so my memory only works when it's jogged. Wink
I remember now, I used to get your mailer.
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 4:22pm
No prob Mark, it's been a long time since then...  I barely remember it
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 9:40pm
Phil, Congrats on your purchase on the St. George market. I was looking at that store as well but when I got Aquatica's equipment from his store I just moved it over to my warehouse in Pleasant Grove. I am still trying to figure out how I want to do everything and the hours I want to run. I hope everything goes well for you down in that market. I know the locals down there need a good store!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 4:40pm
Congrats Phil! You're a great guy and I am sure will be VERY successful!
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 12:00pm
congrats phil. I am jelous, that sounds like alot of fun.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishandFrags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 3:20pm
Thanks for the congrats all, it's nerve-wracking and exciting all at the same time.  I have couple fix-its on the building inspection, then I'll be ready to open up.  planning my first trip to 'fish row' in person end of next week or beginning of the following.. anticipation!

Facebook
(435) 627-1777
partsguy247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 6:24pm
I recently moved back to Southern Utah and would like to find a good LFS. (I will not deal with Sue's for anything.)I will be in to check it out as soon as you open.
Yes my tank has a lot of actinic. Yes that is the way I like it. Yes that is the way it is going to stay.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:43pm
Update?
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Update?
NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!! Creepy guy. Wife won't go back. And no stock.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishandFrags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:18pm
Hey Mark, we're open but slow. In today's economy, avoid use of credit as much as possible.  Store is open, but only has done a few livestock orders.  We are however special ordering any needs and have had a bit of business with lights, skimmers, pumps etc. 

Exciting but little slow on the growth front.  Ended up using other funds to purchase a home to move the family into. :)

Our standard hours are Tues-Friday 10am-6pm and Saturdays 10am-2pm.  I'm usually here Mondays as well.

Anyone in the area, stop by, say hi!  If you need equipment, let me know, give me a chance to quote you!

Facebook
(435) 627-1777
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Update?
Try this guy. His name is Mike 801-787-6582. I have bought a few things from him. He is very helpful and fish and corals always look great!! He is a little hard to get ahold of as he has a full time job and does this on the side. I just got a mandarin goby from him fo $12 and its the best one I have ever seen!
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishandFrags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 2:48pm
rsay4654:  Sorry we posed a bad impression on you and your wife.  I'm not sure if you met me or my son.  Admittedly, we are limited on stock at the moment, however as a new business, it all takes time.  If there is anything we can do to change your impression, I'd sure love the opportunity to correct it.

Mike is a good guy and has some great livestock, I'd definitely recommend anyone in this hobby who positively promotes it, hobbyists and retailers alike.

Respectfully,
Phil Hender - Owner
Fish and Frags.

Facebook
(435) 627-1777
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 11:28pm
Hey Phil,
Keep up the good work. Its difficult at best to start a new venture. Ive watched a new store in Ogden start with very little and struggle to get up and running. Those of us that run small businesses know just how hard it can be.
Keep up the great attitude and don't worry about pleasing those people who can never be made happy. They always seam to bitch the most about nothing.

O and Ralph, that's very tacky to be an ass in Phil's thread. There is a store owner that just pulled a gun on some folks in his store, and another who was caught in another store after hours snooping through everything. Definitely creepy for sure. I cant imagine Phil doing anything like this.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic