Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refractometer Calibration Solution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refractometer Calibration Solution
    Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:11pm
Hey all,
Does anyone have a bottle of refractometer calibration solution that I might be able to borrow a few drops from to calibrate my refractometer? I have been using it for years having just used RO/DI water for calibration, and after doing more reading on the subject I think I need to calibrate it with solution to ensure accuracy.

Thanks!
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:32pm
RO works just fine.  A long as its clean RO  The difference is too small to worry about.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:42pm
I'd be curious to know what you've read.
As far as I know purified water is what is used. The amount of variance say between using RO water for calibration and using DI water is so miniscule that you probably couldn't see it. I wouldn't worry about it.
Just in case you haven't noticed, pinpoint accuracy is not a requirement when dealing with salinity in our aquariums, but maybe your concern is for some other purpose?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 6:47pm
I have calibration solution. I can meet up in SLC sometime or let me know if you're heading up here. Not sure what part of town you live.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I'd be curious to know what you've read.
As far as I know purified water is what is used. The amount of variance say between using RO water for calibration and using DI water is so miniscule that you probably couldn't see it. I wouldn't worry about it.
Just in case you haven't noticed, pinpoint accuracy is not a requirement when dealing with salinity in our aquariums, but maybe your concern is for some other purpose?

At our clinic we use distilled water to calibrate our refractometers that read blood serum / plasma several times daily.  After every reading we just clean it with a bit of distilled water (RO water should be basically the same concept).

For what it's worth
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 8:19pm
Adam, I believe you did some work in this area and published an article, right? I'm dieing to know what is the salinity of the calibration solution or is it some other dissolved substance and does it make any difference when compared to the calibration using purified water?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 8:33pm
Not sure about results with refractometer solutions. I think the article you're probably referring to was this http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/lines

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 11:19pm
I don't have any on hand.  My take on the subject is to always calibrate at 0 & 35ppt as closely as possible. 
DIY Calibration Fluid:  http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

Edited by Reef'd Up - January 19 2012 at 11:21pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 11:25pm
We have this in the store and could help you out. Stop by sometime this weekend. We also sell a really nice refractometer that comes with a 2.5 oz bottle of the solution for all those in the market for a new refractometer

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 2:01pm
Yes Adam, that was the article.
Reef'd Up read my mind. Thumbs Up
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by ReefOn ReefOn wrote:

We have this in the store and could help you out. Stop by sometime this weekend. We also sell a really nice refractometer that comes with a 2.5 oz bottle of the solution for all those in the market for a new refractometer

Thanks Jerry or who ever posted this! ha ha!

I will stop by with my refractometer in the next few days!  Might have to pick up a few more $5 frags too, unless you still have the blue acro frag I had my eye on in the $20 section!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic