Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple questions, new to hobby...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:24pm
Ok heres a picture, sorry it took a while... been sooo busy! I hope this will you guys help me.

boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:29pm
Tank looks good but I would suggest more more to stablize the tank more
Time waits on no one
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:31pm
More? More??
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:38pm
You generally want about 1 1/2-2lbs per gallon for a reef tank
Time waits on no one
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:39pm
Of LR?
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:39pm
I ment rock lol im posting this from my phone so it corrects some of the words and messes up my posts
Time waits on no one
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:42pm
Oh its ok. Whats the best way to add LR??
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:45pm
The cheapest way is to find someone taking down a tank because you usually find rock for 2 per lb. just make sure iys free of pests like aptasia and manjonos
Time waits on no one
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 8:46pm
Iv heard you can only add so much at a time so you dont start the cycle over. True?
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 10:20pm
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 10:22pm
Yes thats true. And it all depends on the rock you use too.
Time waits on no one
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 10:24pm
What is good to use?
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 10:26pm
Now I deffinatly don't have the knowledge that a lot of the people here have but my understanding would be, you could add a bit at a time and you shouldn't really have problems if the rock comes out of a tank that it has already cycled I
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 10:29pm
Ok
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 9:51am
Yes, if the LR being placed in the tank was removed from water, some of it's life will die. It will cause pollution. The principle in that case is not to overload the existing biofiltration with polluting LR.

But, we have a magic weapon --> Algae.
If extra Algae is placed in the aquarium, and illuminated longer, even 24 hours/day if necessary, the pollution will be eaten up very fast and the tank will not suffer the effects of the death and resulting pollution. I generally recommend an amount of air exposed LR of no more than 20% by volume/weight of the LR in an existing fully mature aquarium.

Here's something you may not have thought of. If LR is moved submerged, never touching air, it and your tank will not skip a beat. Removing LR from the water is what allows air to seep into the tiny pores in the rock and causes the life there to suffocate. This is described in more detail in the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below, but simply stated is to keep the rock in water using a bucket to transfer it from tank to saltwater filled tub to new tank. I use 5 quart ice cream buckets for this. If the rock won't fit in a bucket, remove it from the tank as quickly as possible to a waiting water filled tub or 5 gal bucket right next to the tank.

Any LR that was removed from the water and re-submerged should always be turned, twisted and shook to remove as much trapped air as possible. Air kills organisms, including bacteria in the rock.

Now, let me try to dispel a myth about LR. There is no set amount per gallon. It's all about how much and how pretty the LR is in the aquascaping plans of the hobbyist. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I really like Moosetangs aquascaping. No more LR is needed IMO, except to say that a high mountain that almost reaches the surface can be quite interesting. Re-scaping is fun especially when it's been over six months. Amazing growth of sponge and worms occurs on the underside of rocks which makes it very fun to move things around and find the new growth on the previously unseen sides of your LR. Big smile

The four live components of biofiltration are the best filtration we know of and I believe that LS carries 60-80% of the load. LR is important and has it's place, but LS is the workhorse of the reef.

Biofiltration capacity actually grows to meet the need of newly added fish but it can't grow too fast. This is why everyone recommends taking it slowly.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 11:17am
Wow! That makes me feel a lot better about my tank thus far. But what about the heavy breathing issue? I am getting fish hungry because I haven't added a fish in almost a month. Any suggestions?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 10:47pm
There comes a point where we have to be satisfied with the fish we have. Think about it this way. How would you feel if somehow my wife and I were transported to your home right now and we had to remain with you in the home and none of us could ever leave. Do you really want to share your home with two more people?

About the heavy breathing, I'm sorry. Your pic went on the next page and I was responding to a page full of comments where we forgot the original purpose of this thread. Embarrassed
I'm assuming you have not lost any fish, right?
Have you started using the Garlic Oil like recommended earlier?
Have you tested pH before sunrise like I asked before?
I also have not found your answer to this that I posted on the first page of this thread:
"Also, the low pH is a direct result of low Alkalinity. If you are adding a "buffer" designed solely to increase pH, stop immediately. That will mess up the entire water chemistry.
Instead, check the Alkalinity and if it is under 7 dKH  get some baking soda ready.
Dissolve as much Baking Soda as will dissolve in a cup of water. Add 1/2 now and 1/2 tomorrow, then come here and tell us the dKH before and after adding the Baking Soda solution."

Please answer these questions. It's the only way we can really help you.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 12 2012 at 11:04pm
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 10:55pm
That makes sense.

As far as fish loss, Iv lossed a hand full of fish. The last one I put in was the yellow tang. He has been surviving but after ich he has really thinned out and fins started to fray. And breathing heavy. Haven't seen ich in quiet some time but I now face frayed fins. If its not one thing it's another. Every time I feed is with garlic. Every time. I love the hobby but man! What a struggle
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 12:08am
I cannot help if you don't answer the questions.
Here's another:
Tell me how the Garlic is being fed and what type of Garlic.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 7:09am
Soak food in seacem garlic guard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic