Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple questions, new to hobby...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 9:56am
Please feel free to call if you are more comfortable speaking than writing.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:12am
Alright, I am the odd man out but I wouldn't add any more rock. It isn't needed, trust me. If you want more rock and like the look of a bunch of rock stuffed into a tank, go get more rock.

I personally can't stand a lot of rock. It blocks flow, gets clogged up with detritus and gives your fish less swimming room. I run all of my tanks with less than 1lb per gallon. I bet there isn't 15lbs in my 24 gallon tank right now.

I don't mean to cloud this topic and make things even more confusing but just adding rock won't solve anything. It could actually cause more problems in the long run. It will certainly cost more money, that is for sure.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted but after 6 years in the hobby, I know that rock doesn't solve any issues.

PS - I am short timer compared to Grandpa Mark......LOL Sorry Mark, I had to!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:21am
I agree completely with Ryan.
The OP was asking about some illness and we got off track when it was suggested that the tank have more rock. We are still waiting for answers back from Moosetracks so we can help cure and avoid illness in this good looking tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I agree completely with Ryan.
The OP was asking about some illness and we got off track when it was suggested that the tank have more rock. We are still waiting for answers back from Moosetracks so we can help cure and avoid illness in this good looking tank.

Moosetracks???? LOLLOLLOL It is moosetang, Mark.

You better go snorkeling for a little bit.

LOL that was too good.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:25am
Thank you for the second opinion Ryan. I do like the less rock look so I will not be adding more. When I do feed. I soak myisis and brine in garlic. When thawed I do just enough for all then the remainder I put in the fridge so I don't waste anything. I can call you tonight mark if your available
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 7:05pm
Update! After talking to mark, Iv turned my ozone way down and things to be a little more stable. I did loose my yellow tang. Still some flashing going on. I have added a perc clown and a black clown. Little ich came through but not to serious. My perc seems really shy and again breathing heavy. Ugh what a battle. I hope everyone here is on my side ;)
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 7:41pm
Of course we are on your side :)

If you are having ich issues with clowns, don't add anything else right now.... they are normally very hardy so anything else may not make it...

With all the changes and all the issues I think your tank just needs some time to mellow out.... adding coral can be helpful but not fish :)
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 7:49pm
Hironically that's what the LFS said too. More coral and no fish :) Almost at the 5 month mark. Didn't think it would be so much of a pain. Thank you tresa
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:23pm
Just a shot in the dark. Has anyone had this amount of problems 5 months in? What worked? What didn't??
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:13pm
I'm about 3 months in and fortunately for me not one problem...
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:32pm
Wish I could have smooth sailing. I'm might be considering getting out of the hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Christianwaisath Christianwaisath wrote:

I'm about 3 months in and fortunately for me not one problem...

Uh oh....this is where it all goes downhill. Hurry say something bad about your tank or the reef gods will do you in. LOL

The first 6-12 months are the roughest IMO. Around a year you have a pretty good idea of what is going on. Then you get cocky and think you know exactly what is going on. You stop changing water and get off a normal routine and then your tank goes downhill for a little bit. At that point you learn the importance of following a strict routine and things are pretty easy.

However, one of three things happens.

1) You get into SPS heavily
2) You get bored and set up more tanks
3) The wife forces the tank to go

I have had all three! The time frame varies though....

Edited by Ryan Thompson - February 19 2012 at 11:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Moosetang Moosetang wrote:

Wish I could have smooth sailing. I'm might be considering getting out of the hobby

Don't get out of the hobby. Giving up is the last thing you should be contemplating. You only found this incredible group about a month ago. Give your tank time and SLOW down. Leave your hands out of the tank and let nature do its' thing.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:53pm
First -
Turn off the Ozone for now... all the way OFF.

The "heavy breathing" your fish are experiencing could very well be a symptom of ozone poisoning.

If your ORP level is too high it will damage the fishes gills, which restricts the abiilty of the fish to 'breathe' and sets the fish up for secondary porblems like Ich and fin rot (which it sounds like you may be having, too)...

Ozone use can be beneficial in a reef tank, but in your case, with a tank that is fairly "young" and lightly stocked - you do NOT need it.

Next -

Do you run carbon filtration? If not, that is something your tank could use far more than ozone.

Third - Do you feed nori to your tangs? You can get it cheap at any Asian Market. GREAT Tang food!

Fourth - Butterfly fish are generally fairly delicate and not a good choice in a tank less than a year old.

Don't get discouraged. With a little luck, things should get easier for you going forward.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 12:09am
Dude that is awesome!   I feel like I'm getting mine down... I sure hope so as a just spent some good money on Lps at cherry corals.com. And I have an ai sol on the way, horray for tax returns...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 12:10am
That was for ryan thompson haha
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 7:43am
Ok the ozone is now off. I do feed nori about every other day for the tangs. After the butterflies I decided to do reef. I just want to come home and see happy fish :) I know it takes time. I hate being patient with this hobby ha. Thank you guys!
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 8:17am
Patience sucks.... but it is necessary :)

I could go on and on about the problems I had when I started.... I am surprised I did not give up. However, by having the problems I learned a lot and I am glad I did...

There is not one way to set up a tank (which can add to the confusion) but there are certain things that are common (patience is one) so give it time and you will figure out what works for you. Keep it simple for now and let things happen :)
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 12:42pm
How long did it take for you to see that your tank was on the right track?
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 10:26pm
Tonight I noticed there is a lot of vibration in the display. I can feel the water vibrating when I just suspend my hand in the open water. Is affecting any fish stress?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic