Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple questions, new to hobby...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple questions, new to hobby...
    Posted: January 27 2012 at 5:44pm
72G bow front has been running since mid October. Seems like any fish I try gets ich. Very frustrating. I have a 20g sump with a good skimmer, running a Red Sea ozonizer. The fish I currently have is a Yellow Tang, Yellow Belly hippo and 2 Chromis. Just seems like an on going battle right now with this hobby. I cant come home from work and just enjoy. There is always something. 

Next question is my return pump is a Rio 1400 and it seems to vibrate the water in my display like crazy. I feel like this is the stress that brings on the ich. When im doing my routine matainance I can feel in the water the vibrations. Iv put foam around the pump that is pressed against the sump walls but still is bad. Any suggestions. For either questions.

Thanks!!!
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 7:18pm
My suggestion would be to slow down a little. Yellow tangs can be aggressive and hippos are famous for ich. I would not add any more fish for a while. Make sure your pump is clean, I have to clean mine a lot. Sometimes if it is dirty or not put together correctly the vibration is worse. I have mine sitting on a pad to help... it still vibrates but not enough to cause problems. Also.... do you know what your parameters are? This hobby can be frustrating at times but once you understand a little more about it, it gets better :) 
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 7:25pm
Params are right where they need to be. Lol I do have a lot of patients but with this its hard lol. Coming out of the entire world of freshwater from a 10g goldfish tank to a 200g stingray tank I decided to do salt. I hate taking this slow lol. Is Rio any good? I was thinking of switching to a Mag. I just feel like the pump is to cheaply made. 

Your opinion, how long should I wait to start adding some fish?

Thank you so much!!
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 7:34pm
Patience is definitely my downfall as well but trust me....it gets very expensive and sad if you rush it :) Is the pump new? Everyone has their preference on brands - if it works and is pushing enough water then it should be fine.... As far as fish... that would depend on what type you are wanting....what fish have you tried and when was the last one added?
Also do you have a refugium or a sump?
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 7:47pm
Yes bought it brand new. Water seems great. Last added was the Yellow Tang about 6 days ago. Iv lost a Naso, Raccoon butterfly and a Threadfin butterfly.

No refug, just a regular sump.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 9:43pm
Best Remedy for ICH= UV Sterilizer.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Best Remedy for ICH= UV Sterilizer.
I agree.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 7:22am
I did run a UV for a while and had no effect, so I switch to Ozone. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:23pm
You need to continually run it . Ozone will not kill free swimming parasites.Smile

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 7:23pm

Thumbs Up You have come to one of the best sources for correct reefkeeping information on the web. We founded the WMAS in 1995, before the internet Shocked, with the main purpose being to bring hobbyists together to help all keep a better marine aquarium.

Here are some of my comments about what you have said:
- It's very unlikely the vibrating Rio pump is causing the Ich. Rio Pumps are the cheapest and can sometimes be a real pain. I would remove and clean it. Remove the impeller and clean it and the hole it goes into. An old toothbrush works good for this. Check for cracks on the impeller blades and magnet. If after the cleaning, it still vibrates, unplug it and immediately(less than 1 second) plug it back in. It may take a couple of tries. Rio pumps sometimes get out of sync and this helps them get back into sync.
- Ozone does kill the free swimming parasites.
- Ozone is about as good as a UV Sterilizer for controlling the Ich parasite
- There is an almost miracle prevention for Ich which I have used and recommended for many years. See the Reefkeeping Tips below for a whole lot of good information about keeping a healthy reef aquarium. Especially see the Tip titled "Adding new fish, fish training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil."

If you found that information enlightening, here are some questions that will help us to help you. Smile
QuestionIs the ozone delivering O3?
QuestionHow old is the unit and what is the setting?
If the ozonator is working, the fact that neither O3 nor UV has stopped the Ich means that something in the tank environment definitely needs to be improved.
You said, "Params are right where they need to be". If you don't mind, please tell us what you are testing and what those actual numbers are. I assume you are saying that the Nitrogen pollution levels; Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are within range.
That's good but it helps if we know the numbers and how about Alkalinity and Calcium? Those are critical parameters that if not right, can cause problems.
QuestionWhat are the Alk and Ca levels?
As a freshwater hobbyist, you may have tested pH from time to time. Have you tested it in this tank in the morning before sunrise Question

There's a lot more but let's start with that. If you stick with us, I can promise you will soon be enjoying this hobby like crazy, you might even become addicted.Wacko

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 28 2012 at 7:49pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 2:55pm
Question - 1 The Ozone is delivering O3
Question - 2 It is a couple years old. Currently set at 140mg/hr
Question - 3 Have not ever tested for Alk or Ca reason I was doing a FOWLR
Question - 4 I have not tested before sunrise

Water Params:
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - Between 0 - 5.0
Ph - 7.8 (buffering back up to 8.3)

QuestionDoes Alk and Ca have an affect on the fish? I didnt think it did. 

I really appreciate all your help! Im looking forward to success. I hate the struggles im having and hope to have good signs soon before I loose interest.

Thanks again!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 3:40pm
My Apology for the  In-correct Information.

Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 10:09am
Yes alk can have an affect on fish..... probably a good idea to test those as well....

While it is nice to have a uv or ozone, I don't think they are always necessary... great water params and feeding garlic can have a great outcome as well...

You might just need to take a little time and let the tank settle before adding more fish.... I know I know - it's the patience thing Wink 

Some of the fish you are adding can be a little more difficult so timing can be everything. Did any of your fish show any aggression?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 6:17pm
I agree completely with Tresa.

Also, the low pH is a direct result of low Alkalinity. If you are adding a "buffer" designed solely to increase pH, stop immediately. That will mess up the entire water chemistry.

Instead, check the Alkalinity and if it is under 7 dKH  get some baking soda ready.
Dissolve as much Baking Soda as will dissolve in a cup of water. Add 1/2 now and 1/2 tomorrow, then come here and tell us the dKH before and after adding the Baking Soda solution.

Also, I suspect that old, (yes, 2 years is old) ozonator is not producing much O3. There is a very easy way to test it. I gotta run but I'll come back later to explain...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 9:15am
Whoops, sorry. "Later" took longer than expected. Embarrassed

QuestionUpdate on testing pH before sunrise and later in the day, also Alk and Ca?

The easy way to check whether O3 is being produced is to taste it. Here's how it's done:
Remove the flexible tube from the Skimmer and suck a little into your mouth. Don't inhale it, just taste the air that went into your mouth. O3 has a distinct taste, kind of bitter. The more O3 the stronger the taste. A 200 mg unit that is set to 140 should give a very noticeable and strong taste. My bet is that it's not producing much because the expected life of these units is only about 3 years at the maximum, during which time they gradually decrease to zero O3 production at the maximum setting.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. I'm just passionate about helping/paying it forward.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 7:20am
THe ozone taste horrible lol. Thats a good sign. As far as everything else nothing has changed. The fish I have are breathing heavy as usual, eating well though with the exception of the Yellow Tang. 

My LFS says to just let it be for about 8 weeks. Im so frustrated at this point and if things don't start to go in a better direction, I am definantly considering getting out of the hobby. Just to much $$ for what its worth ( so far)

Anymore input would be greatly appreciated!!

Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 7:23am
Just keep in mind... this is very different from fresh water. The balances are more delicate and it's harder to reverse a bad situation... Just be patient, let things calm down and see what happens...also if you could post a full shot pic of the tank that may be helpful....don't give up yet :)
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 7:28am
Ill get picture up tonight hopefully. Ugh! lol

Thanks!
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 7:31am
Take a deep breath... it will be oooookay! ;)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Moosetang Moosetang wrote:

THe ozone taste horrible lol. Thats a good sign. As far as everything else nothing has changed. The fish I have are breathing heavy as usual, eating well though with the exception of the Yellow Tang. 

My LFS says to just let it be for about 8 weeks. Im so frustrated at this point and if things don't start to go in a better direction, I am definantly considering getting out of the hobby. Just to much $$ for what its worth ( so far)

Anymore input would be greatly appreciated!!

LOL You tasted it. That's freakin awesome. You are a great hobbyist already. I see good signs of a hobbyist who will soon be enjoying this hobby. Big smile
Tresa is soooo right.
The LFS is partially right.
We need to see a pic. Without it, we are flying blind.
Breathing heavy is not good. Please feel free to call me at the number below ASAP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic