Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

125 cracked need assistance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 125 cracked need assistance
    Posted: January 28 2012 at 10:42pm
Ok so my friends 125 front glass just cracked. He had water in it but no fish yet. He is curious if anybody would like to help replace the front glass or if he should just buy new. Here is his number if anybody would like to help and let him know a price. 801-520-3115 Justin.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 10:53pm
Oh NO! I am SO sorry to hear about the tank!! I hope he gets help quickly!

Edited by ptronsp - January 28 2012 at 11:18pm

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 8:09am
Sorry to hear about that. It's so much work to replace the glass, especially if it's in a frame and since used tanks are half the cost of new, even right out of the store, I would buy a used tank. Used tanks can be awesome or junk. I always check the glass for scratches by looking at it from all angles with light coming from different angles. I won't buy if the silicon is very damaged, because that means it probably wasn't cared for properly.

The only time the front glass of an old aquarium ever cracked on me is when it was not supported correctly. It was high centered. High centering a glass tank is the surest way to crack the glass.
Of course I don't know how this tank was supported but it's certainly something to check when setting up the next tank.

Also, even when the stand is perfectly flat, a warped or weak floor will cause the ends to sink when water is added which high centers the tank. I typically err on the side of supporting the tank ends, even if there is only enough space to slide a thin piece of paper underneath the center line.

Hope this helps. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 8:32am
I have a 110 i would like to get rid of ill let it go cheap
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 1:36pm
Thanks everyone. He bought this tank off ksl on monday( just the tank and sump). Went out and bought a new stand and canopy. He spent a few days setting plumbing and sand and rock up. This is fresh water I should add. He had a big log in there that he bought that made the water murky. It was holding water for a days. He decided to drain the water and refill it. As he was refilling it the glass cracked end to end right in the middle. Very strange. He might just buy a 150 because the demensions are the same, 150 is just taller.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic