Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accidentally Raising Mysis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accidentally Raising Mysis
    Posted: February 01 2012 at 5:39am
Hum...not sure where to put this...but...

My aquarium is teeming with what I think are Mysis.  I can't get a good photo, but here's the best I have.

Anyone had any success with raising them to adulthood?  I guess technically I have, but I have no clue how.  I don't have any fish or other predators for them.  How do I keep the population going?

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 7:07am
well whatever you're doing just keep doing it!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 9:24am
liquid food, phyto feast maybe??? i know that pods eat it. but the the reason that mysis are so much better than brine are their diet. they eat smaller animals and algae....
105 rimless
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:26am
I agree, keep doing whatever it is you are doing.Smile
You are talking about these right? I often see them swimming in the corners of LFS coral tanks and in hobbyist's Refugiums.
Their largest adult form that I have always seen is no larger than 1/4" from eyes to tip of tail.

There was a local hobbyist that was growing a good population of these for months. He asked me to come over and see why his clownfish larvae, living in the Refugium, were not growing any larger. Unfortunatly, I had to inform him that they were Mysid Shrimp. We mistake them for baby fish because they swim around fast, sometimes in figure 8's.
I've seen them ingest powdered flake food and in a tank with lot's of Coralline Algae they acquired a pink hue so they must have been eating the algae itself or the zygotes.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:30am
That's pretty cool. If you ever decide to get rid of some I would be glad to take some off your hands. 
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 4:27pm
Thanks for the info Mark!  Yup, that's them!  I hope I can keep the population going...it would be neat and a great source for people needing live food.  The hubby wants a cuttlefish tank, so it'd be perfect.

If I can keep the population going, I'll spread the wealth.  Seriously though, if someone gets into an emergency situation for live food, let me know.

I'll try to get some better photos, and I'll document their growth as much as I can.  I think I need a microscope........
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 5:34pm
Very cool! What is in the tank with them?
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 7:30pm
The tank is my hospital tank for rescuing corals, so there are no fish.  Just a bunch of snails...couple of crabs...and tons and tons of corals.  I target feed the corals insanely heavy, so it's no surprise there's enough food (at least I hope there is.)

But...they aren't out today.  I'm hoping they're more of night critters.  I don't see any dead ones...hmmm.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 7:45pm
That's really cool:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic