Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

advice please! on lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice please! on lighting
    Posted: February 02 2012 at 1:15pm

I maybe buying an LED fixture as soon as taxes come back.  The fixture I'm considering is a 120W unit. The manufacture claims is an approx. equiv. to a 250w MH. This will hang over a 30 gallon breeder tank (30"x18"x12"). My concern is that I don't want to cook the tank with high intensity light. Current light is wimpy PC 130W system. If light acclimation is done correctly, will I be ok long term?

I will get a proverbial beating over the head by the Wife if this goes wrong after the money is spent.Dead

Thanks all!!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 1:24pm
Do you have more information about the light or a link to one?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 1:39pm
Yeah, I can get the specs later. right now my work computer won't let me access the site!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 5:25pm
Light Acclimation - Start at 30% intensity or raise the light a foot or more above the tank and start with a photoperiod of only 3-4 hours, gradually increasing to full photoperiod over two weeks, concurrently decreasing the fixtures distance from the water.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by arthuriv arthuriv wrote:

Do you have more information about the light or a link to one?

Here are some specs on the light. I just dont want what little coral I have to shrivel up and die!
  1. Power:120W
  2. LED Qty: 112x1W
  3. Input Voltage: 85V~265V
  4. Luminous flux: 8000lm
  5. Lighting area: 9m2
  6. Lifespan: 50,000 hours
  7. LED wavelength: White 12000~20000
  8.                             Blue 460
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 12:28am
If you are buying a non dimmable LED fixture and if you have the ability you can suspend it higher above the tank to compensate for the increase in brightness and then lower the fixture over a period of time.  There is a bunch of these 120 watt LED fixtures on ebay for really cheap and I know a handfull of people who use them. I have one friend who has been using one for over a year now and his corals are doing great under it.  You really can't beat them at $170 with free shipping and a 2 year warranty! There are a lot of nicer led fixtures out there but the nicer you go the more you will have to spend. I think you will be happy with the performance just make sure you get one that is going to be the correct coloration for what you would like to achieve.
Just my thoughts though. Chad.

PS I switched to LED's about 18 months ago and I have no regrets!!! Actually my only regret is that I didn't switch sooner. 
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:04am
I'm trying to achieve a couple of things with this LED. One is to get a better look of my tank. Right now I'm running 6700k/10000k and actinic. My coral looks just so-so. I want that color pop. Two, I want the option of high light requirement livestock. Plus the pros of no light bulb replacement ect.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:23am
I would look at the Kessil A150 if you are not looking to spend a lot. If your price range is a bit higher I would go with the AI sol. Or a nanobox fixture. There is also the radion which is great but pretty pricey and I'm sure you really are tryin to find something cheaper

Edited by Ahanix - February 03 2012 at 10:28am
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 2:29pm
There are so many options out there right now!
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 2:42pm
Kissel is not dimmable... but is amazingly good for covering about a 24 inch square with light (its not square but thats the max coverage area) would be my vote as it is incredibly small (like the size of a can of soup) and comes in three color temps but has a reputation for being blue/cool.  I REALLY like these lights, and was soooo close to purchasing prior to taking the DIY plunge.  You can have a clam with the Kissel lights if your tank is not incredibly deep, so no limits whatsoever on livestock.

Be a little bit warry about the 100+ arrays of the 1W LEDs.  They are cheaply made compared to the others, they do produce light, but I think you will end up being happier and have less chance of trouble (I hear about diodes failing on those cheap arrays often) and more intensity without a doubt if you reach a bit higher in price, or build your own, which is also more expensive.  They are 1/3 or less the price of the others for a good reason, in NO WAY do they compare in color, intensity, build quality, features, etc etc.... 

Sorry, that sounds negative... I only wanted to suggest that you get exactly what you pay for- do not assume they are in any way equivalent to the more expensive options.  Thats all.  Regardless of whats on the package.

Edited by rufessor - February 03 2012 at 2:44pm
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 3:15pm

Thanks all for the input. To be specific on this fixture I'm looking into its the (flamethrowers off, pleaseTongue) the 120Watt LED that Live Rock and Reef has for $299 with a 2 year warranty. You can see it on their web site. I've seen this fixture in person and it appears to be good.  The Kissel is awsome but has no versatility as far as whites on/off blues on/off ect.  Plus I'm trying to light a 30"x18" area, so Im a little hesitant on that. $300 is my max. Any other recommendations?

Edited by xlr8r - February 03 2012 at 3:16pm
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 3:36pm
I was going to do the DIY thing until I walked in Live Rock and Reef and stumbled into a fabulous deal on a 120 watt fixture. I took it home and hung it over my 6' long, 40"wide, 33" deep tank. I was stunned at the amount of light it put out. I went back and got another. I'm replying via phone and can't upload pics, but Rusty, if you are on, please post them for me.
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:35pm
All the pros to LED are obvious. Less power consumption, quiet, less heat, compact, ect.
But the cons make me nervous. After the warranty runs out, how does one easily repair it if one or two leds quit, or other malfunctions.

I'd like to hear more from those using non-DIY LED fixtures.  I'd do a DIY if I was that good! Or maybe someone who is can give me an estimate to build one for me!
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by xlr8r xlr8r wrote:

All the pros to LED are obvious. Less power consumption, quiet, less heat, compact, ect.
But the cons make me nervous. After the warranty runs out, how does one easily repair it if one or two leds quit, or other malfunctions.

I'd like to hear more from those using non-DIY LED fixtures.  I'd do a DIY if I was that good! Or maybe someone who is can give me an estimate to build one for me!

Ecoxotic 24" panorama pro fixture gets my vote. Yes it is more than your max but your options are endless and you have a great company that stands behind their stuff. I am very weary of the fixtures that only have blue and white LEDs. They tend to look bad long term and you miss colors with the limited spectrum.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 1:02pm
I agree but you
MUST have knowledge of exactly which
color bin for each blue/white bulb in order to get some idea of final
color. Its painful to compare
because although some
companies will tell you this most dont.

In general it is possible to get hreat color with what ends up being "just blue and white" but it requires a mix of a few blues and a white that is much warmer than what a lot of the commercial fixtures use. I think that to
know you need to see it. everyone has a different color they like and with LEDs this can change so much across different products that I would strongly recommend seeing them over a tank.

As for burn outs. Individual Led loss in a fixture with. 100+ is probably
not going to be noticed. Depending on how it blows and how its wired that result may change to a less desirable outcome.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic