Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoos/ Zoas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoos/ Zoas?
    Posted: February 06 2012 at 8:45am
I get why people refer to them as ZoA's because the full name is Zoanthid, but why do so many people call them Zoo's?  Lots of microscopic animals living in cages on them?
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 9:15am
I have no idea, i have never figured it out. That word makes me laugh because of how people abbreviate it and how they say the full name! I just chuckle to myself to hear all the different ways people say it! 
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 9:21am
Spell check haha
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 4:06pm
i think people say zoo out of pure laziness... i could be wrong. then again saying zoa or any abbreviation is laziness too, but acceptable laziness for the most part lol

480 in wall in progress
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 4:15pm
I personally prefer the full name, but I do tend to be caught being lazy and saying zoas. I haven't figured out where the "zoos" comes from, either...
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 4:28pm
Not sure why zoas are called zoos, but i call them zoos all the time cause zoanthids is too large of a word ;)
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 5:02pm
I say zoo's or zoa's, I'm lazy 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 5:03pm
Laziness is becoming more frequent in the human language. 

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 6:05pm
I'm probably guilty of using "zoo" out of laziness myself and have never had a problem with others using it, but it drives me crazy when people say "anename".  Like fingers on a chalk board. Pinch
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 2:50pm
I will just start calling them water daisies then. 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Laziness is becoming more frequent in the human language. 

In my opinion, laziness is becoming more frequent in all almost aspects of human life and society.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 3:42pm
Seriously when it comes to grammar our education system has failed most of us under 50 years old.  I think the younger you go the less grammar you were taught in school.  It's so bad now that people don't even know when to use certain words in a sentence and use words incorrect words all the time.  I won't list my personal pet peeves because they are used frequently on this board. 

Much of this problem comes from our lack to caring and some because our education system has simply given up on teaching it.

*Edited for Grammar Embarrassed

Edited by Will Spencer - February 21 2012 at 3:44pm
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

Seriously when it comes to grammar our education system has failed most of us under 50 years old.  I think the younger you go the less grammar you were taught in school.  It's so bad now that people don't even know when to use certain words in a sentence and use words incorrect words all the time.  I won't list my personal pet peeves because they are used frequently on this board. 

Much of this problem comes from our lack to caring and some because our education system has simply given up on teaching it.

*Edited for Grammar Embarrassed

So true! My english teacher said exactly this, "I will not be teaching you grammar this year because the district no longer requires it as part of the curriculum, and no one would even listen if I did."

Will, I know what you mean. If I were to list my pet peeves here, or just about anywhere, it probably wouldn't go over too well.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:25pm
The issue is that they kept telling us that after the 5th grade we would only be able to write in cursive for the rest of our lives.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

The issue is that they kept telling us that after the 5th grade we would only be able to write in cursive for the rest of our lives.

As far as I know they don't even teach cursive much anymore. I personally prefer cursive, but a lot of my friends and other people my own age have a very hard time reading even the nicest cursive, let alone writing it since they never learned it in school.
Dale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 5:54pm
I'm just going to start calling them z's from now on. Haha!
Dale
29g biocube
Ecoxotic LED mod
West Jordan

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 7:05pm
Hmmmm... We could come up with a whole host of names for different corals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic