Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green star polyps colony crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jwallent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwallent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green star polyps colony crash
    Posted: May 21 2003 at 2:26pm
My once beautiful green star polyps that had doubled in size since I've had them over the past 6-8 months has recently crashed.  Has anyone else ever experienced a similar phenomenon?  All other corals seem fine.  Colonies that I had even transplanted to other locations have crashed.  Should I be worrying about any toxins being released?
JW
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 2:44pm

What do you mean crashed?  The tissue is gone or the polyps are not coming out.

John

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 3:26pm
 Is there anything you have done different in the tank recently? Also I would double check you amonia and such.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Jwallent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwallent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 5:23pm

For a while they were coming out but looked ill, now they are not coming out and the tissue is breaking down,  all other corals are truly fine. Nitrites, nitrates and amonia are also fine.  Salinity, according to the unreliable hydrometers was in range.  The only thing that changed was current, which I redirected to benefit some other corals. 

There is a bubble tip anemone that is next to the largest colony, but that does not explain the demise of all the other colonies.  Unless the large colony released some sort of stress factor that lead/coerced the other colonies to die off (somne type of apoptotic factor perhaps) just my guess.  Also Green star polyps are related to xenia which is known to ocassionaly die off--please correct me if I'm wrong.

JW
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 6:17pm
From what I've heard and seen in my tank, Star Polyps like a medium current.  They also become irritated and stay closed if there is any algae growth on them...  Try directing some current back on them if you can.
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 6:31pm

FWIW, here is a pic of my polyps.  My sump water return blows right over the top of these (maybe about an inch above them).

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 9:58pm
Dang!  Flaz always has the BEST pictures!
Jwallent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwallent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2003 at 4:44pm
I paid a visit to Mountain shadow marine today to have some of my water parameters checked.  In particular my salinity.  As I suspected my hydrometer like most everyone elses is off.  I thought my salinty was 1.024-1.025 when in actuality it was sitting at 1.027-1.028.  I imagine the green star polyps were the most sensitive and were thus the first to go.  Especially since their demise coincided with me increasing the salinity from 1.024 to 1.025, since most books say that calcification takes place best at a salinity of 1.025.  Live and learn.  I'm now decreasing the salinity down to 1.022 .  Hopefully its not too late. 
JW
bullitt4932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 12:18pm

80$ for a hydrometer is the best investment you can make for the safety and control of your tank.

my green and white star polips close up when the get alge growth on them, i have even seen the shed a thin layer to get the alge off then next day they are fine

tyler

twflint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twflint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 1:18pm

I have a question about algae on star polyps.  My green stars have had quite a bit of algae on them for the last few weeks,  the polyps WILL still extend out through the aglae, but its bugging me.  Any easy way to get rid of the algae?  May try the turkey baster trick one of these days.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic