Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 Gallon BowFront

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 Gallon BowFront
    Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:20pm
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:32pm
I wanted to show everyone our hardwork for the last couple of months.  I started in this hobby with a 6 gallon fluval edge which is still doing fantastic.  I needed more volume so I started a 20 gallon tall.  After about 3 months of having it I realized I really disliked the shape of the tank.  So after begging and a lot of searching and replying to a lot of ads I found this beauty.  It's a 46 gallon bowfront, has no sump.  For filtration I am using a HOB that I run fresh charcoal through every 2 weeks.  I also have around 40lbs of live rock along with 60 lbs of base rock.  I am running two powerheads that keep the water turned very well.  Lighting is taken care of with 47, 1 watt LED's. I love the look and the color that these lights supply.  The shimmer effect is amazing.  The livestock include:

1. Flame Angel
2. Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair
3. Firefish
4. 3 different damsels: Yellow Tail, Black / White striped and a Domino
5. Black / White clown
6. Snowflake clown
7. Peppermint Shrimp
8. Snails, crabs

Coral

1. Xenia
2. Hammer
3. Frogspawn
4.Purple Mushroom
5. Brown Polys
6. Different Zoa frags
7. Green Star Polyps

I really wanted to post this because I am new and am just learning and visit this site often ( MANY times a day ).  I respect and admire everyone on here and have just a thirst for knowledge.  Please post away to any suggestions, thoughts.  I also wanted to thank Bill Davis at Saltwater Paradise.  Bill has been a HUGE help in getting this tank going and does a fantastic job and is really a devoted reef enthusiast!!!!  THANKS BILL!!!

Edited by chuckfu - February 11 2012 at 12:35pm
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:33pm
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2012 at 12:34pm
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 10:52am

Adding a fathead anthias to the tank in a couple days!!!  Pics to come.

chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 1:54pm
No ideas on what I could improve on???  Please feel free to comment with ideas and improvements!!!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 8:50pm

I could be wrong on this, but I don't see much cleanup crew in there, and with that many fish you're sitting on a time bomb. I recommend 2 snails per gallon (a miture of cerith and astrea or trochus snails) and 1 hermit per gallon. A couple of the "novelty crabs" such as the Sally Lightfoot, arrow, etc. wouldn't hurt either.

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 8:56pm
Looking good man! Keep up the good work
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 6:34am
Capnmorgan - You are correct.  There is not much of a cuc in there at the moment.  There is roughly 5 blue legged hermits and about 10-15 mixture of snails.  I was worried that with not much algae yet the snails and crabs would not have enough to live.  Do you recommend adding everythig at once or a little at a time.  Also what is a good debris cleaner off of the substrate?  I have thought about a cucumber, what are your thoughts?
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 7:56am
problem is if you wait till you start seeing the algae that it is probably too far gone to just add a few snails and that will take care of it. for me i always will add maybe 10-15 snails at a time, ya some will die off if there isnt enough food, but at least the algae isnt getting out of hand. plus for me, its more my wrasse eats them. to each there own, but i believe in taking care of the problem before it starts
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Capnmorgan - You are correct.  There is not much of a cuc in there at the moment.  There is roughly 5 blue legged hermits and about 10-15 mixture of snails.  I was worried that with not much algae yet the snails and crabs would not have enough to live.  Do you recommend adding everythig at once or a little at a time.  Also what is a good debris cleaner off of the substrate?  I have thought about a cucumber, what are your thoughts?

If possible I would add 25 snails and about 20 hermits asap, and another 25 snails in 2 weeks. If you find you have a lot of algae on the substrate a fighting conch and a few (like 5) nassarius snails will do the trick. Cucumbers are great, but they can be difficult for the begginner, they require steady water chemistry and can release toxins if they get stressed out or die. Chad has the right idea here, it's alway better to take care of potential problems before they start. It's much easier and much cheaper in the long run.

Welcome to the addiction!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 2:51pm
I would consider painting the back of the aquarium.  Its a personal preference thing... and its a bit problematic to do when up and running... but certainly possible if you just stop the pumps and cover it well for the 10 mins it takes to spray it... 

That way you don't see anything behind like cords overflow etc et.

Also... 

Where are your lights?  It looks open so do you have a suspended canopy??

Curious.

Clean up crew eats more than just algae... extra food... fish waste... with that many fish I am almost certain you have enough in there to keep them all happy. 

Only comment, since you asked... 

Don't go to quick... without a sump/serious skimmer you will almost certainly run into nitrogen issues if you overfeed or even as your fish grow, thats a lot of biomass for a small volume.  Almost to the point where I would say you need to pull back, but really seriously think hard before adding any more fish.

Give it a few months and see how the system is going.  You have many more fish than I do, and my tank has over 2x the water volume, and a full sump/DSB Cheato Refugium and a serious skimmer....has been running in one form or another for over a year- and I am worrying about if I should add just ONE more fish (I have 5 total).  I do however have a ton of coral... so my first priority is that and fish and coral sorta "fight" in terms of water quality but are also linked in one supplying nutrients for the other but its a balance.  In my opinion your at or over the edge of that balance point especially for a new tank.  
Pick a seriously rigorous maintenance schedule and STICK TO IT.  That will allow you to successfully keep this going stable.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 7:04pm
Ruffesor, the lights are reef bright leds. I'll get a pic and post later. I do biweekly water changes at 10%. I also change charcoal every two weeks. I have a skimmer but not sure how to get it going. I also heard you shouldn't start skimming for a while until you get a good load going. One problem I have i's when I try to vacuum the sand, it wants to pull the sand through. I's there a easier way to do it. Like I said I want to learn and I appreciate all the help. I dont want to overstock the tank, but am afraid I may have already.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 8:03pm
Skim NOW. There is really no problem. You can find people who skim on a schedule. I run 24/7 and supplement with Reef Fuel and then Ca/Mg by Kalk and additive. pH i dont touch it is what it is. Lots of ways to skin the cat. But just pick one to start and stick to it until your convinced its wrong or things are demomstratably wrong. Youll be fine if you keep up on your maintenance. Fish sell quickly if you do have too but you may be fine for a good while.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 8:32pm
Any ideas on vacuuming the sand?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 6:36pm
Wow, quite a big question to go unanswered.
Simple answer > Don't do it. Deep vacuuming messes up the biofiltration. On an older tank of 2 years or more, vacuuming the top half inch will help it last another two years. Sand sifting cucumbers are far away the best answer to keeping the sand looking nice. Stay away from Sand Sifting Stars. They eat everything in the sand, destroying the biofiltration.
It's been two months, how is this tank doing?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic