Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ICH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 3:21pm
Ok thanks
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 8:11am
Just a general update...the yellow eye and the powder blue died sometime in the night. The sailfin and clowns are still doing well, and all are eating well, especially now that I have added garlic to the food. I have also started dosing a small amount of Marine C since it can help heal wounds and infections as well as brighten up the corals.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 9:55am
Dear Ann,
I'm not surprised to hear of the success of the fish in the Display.
I am surprised and dismayed about your question regarding what Garlic product to use and I am grateful for Brad's quick response. Your question indicates that you did not bother to read the link. Have you read any of the information in the Reefkeeping Tips? That information was carefully organized to provide new hobbyists with a source of wisdom that I acquired over 20 years of intense involvement in this hobby and my experience learning from more than a thousand WMAS hobbyists since 1993.
My purpose in providing that organized information is to freely share what God has so graciously given me as I have enjoyed this wonderful hobby over the years. Perhaps I should charge $30 per copy. Would that help you take it more seriously?

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 14 2012 at 9:58am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 10:43am
Erm, anyone else have an odd look on their face right now, or feel weird?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Dear Ann,
I am surprised and dismayed about your question regarding what Garlic product to use and I am grateful for Brad's quick response. Your question indicates that you did not bother to read the link. Have you read any of the information in the Reefkeeping Tips? That information was carefully organized to provide new hobbyists with a source of wisdom that I acquired over 20 years of intense involvement in this hobby and my experience learning from more than a thousand WMAS hobbyists since 1993.
My purpose in providing that organized information is to freely share what God has so graciously given me as I have enjoyed this wonderful hobby over the years. Perhaps I should charge $30 per copy. Would that help you take it more seriously?

I must have overlooked it. I was in a hurry since not only do I have to deal with my tanks, but I also have family things going on, doctor appointments, as well as school and work to deal with. I also must point out that I have only been in the hobby for 1 year, and despite doing plenty of research, I don't know everything. I admit there is plenty that I don't know and I am sure that your experience is far superior to mine, and therefore your information is likely to be a much more valid and helpful resource for me. I don't see why you don't charge for your tips, other than that as far as I'm aware, this forum is for sharing free knowledge and helping each other, rather than criticizing people's knowledge, or lack there of. I do give you plenty of credit for my success this far since I HAVE read large portions of the Reefkeeping Tips, and found the advice given to be very helpful and informative. My apologies for overlooking that bit of information in my haste.

Edited by Ann_A - February 14 2012 at 4:21pm
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Dear Ann,

Next time, leave the fish be while you poor through pages of Marks advice. While I agree, he can be most helpful at times- often his ego gets in the way and clouds his judgement. 
Sure, garlic can be helpful. However, it is not a cure all. In my 17 years of reef keeping, I have only had one case of ich, which was about 11 months ago. Prior to that, I have no idea if it was dumb luck- the environment the fish were in- the fish selection- the food I feed my fish ..... I had never used garlic (of any form), no UV, no Ozone, no quarentine... So yes, luck I guess? 
I have come to understand there are many different set ups, opionions, forms of beauty and likes and dislikes in this hobby. Which means feeding with garlic, beating misbehaving fish with a stick and growing lots and lots of algae in your display is not the only way to reef.  Lets open our minds (and hearts) and be a little more welcoming and understanding to others in this hobby.

Ann, sorry to hear of the loss of your fish. Good luck with the others.

Edited by DLindquist - February 14 2012 at 11:43am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 12:02pm
Damn Ann your post is perfect. I couldn't write that well, nor articulate in a professional manner the way you did and I'm twice your age.

Adam
ps- as is DLindquists
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 12:19pm
I am wasting my time trying to fix everyone's fish problems and my arrogance is my downfall. I am going to leave the MB and focus on more important matters, like my wife and family. I would encourage everyone to refer to the Tips below. Adios and Aloha
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 4:42pm
Ann don't be discouraged. We all learn from ALL our mistakes. That's what so great about this board.... I for one can't keep a powder blue alive either.. Big smile
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Connie Connie wrote:

Ann don't be discouraged. We all learn from ALL our mistakes. That's what so great about this board.... I for one can't keep a powder blue alive either.. Big smile

Thanks. I'm not discouraged, just a little bit sad and missing my fish. I just see it as part of the hobby and a learning experience.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 4:45am
I wish I had read this post a few days ago, I lost my red sea sail fin tonight and it just killed me to watch him suffer like he did. I had been using garlic and fresh water dip to save him for a week. I have a yellow and hipp o tang , 2 clowns, 2 chromis , and yellow belly damsel in a 72g bow. I bumped my temp from 75 to 78 to help shorten the life cycle of the ich . I added a uv today but was way to late to save my favorite. :( All the other fish are active and as crazy as ever, when the sailfin became lethargic the hippo was nipping at him and i didnt notice until tonight. So combined with the ICH and the pestering by the hippo he was lost. From thurs to fri the sail was eating like crazy then fri he just stopped and i knew he was a gonner. So having added a uv and using garlic 1 time a week will the be enough to prevent another out break for the livestock i have, and how about future purchases if i dont run a QT tank ?
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 6:54am
Kurt, I would really consider not buying anymore tangs for several reasons but especially because they are extremely prone to ich. Sorry to hear abut your sailfin man. They are beautiful fish but i feel my 120g is not big enough for a sailfin tang.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 7:23am
Akira, now that you've had ich, it will more or less always be present in your system. It now becomes a mater of keeping your fish healthy enough to fight off any further cases of it (Or should I say, keep your fish from succumbing to ich. They may still come down with ich, but not die because of it). I compare garlic to human consumption of vitamins. People take them in order to maintain their health, but yet can still catch a bug from time to time. There are no cure-alls.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 2:39pm
you may want to slow the acclimation down. The hyposalinity change could be causing more stress. Im not sure how long you gave it but it needs to be done slow for you sick fish. Be sure to feed them often, theis will help keep them stronger. Check your ht levels for nitrates and what not if you havent let ut establish and if you havent already. You'll definitly go through a cycle in there.  
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 3:32pm
missed a while page of posts here. Sorry to hear about your sailfin. I lost one a bit ago due to ich and being gone for xmas at the same time.
If you do used ht for your sick fish, switch them over at the first sign of ich when they're healthier. Thrn feed and medicate them. Doing freshwater dips are very stressful for fish. I've heard best results with copper and garlic for curing ht'd fish. If you have them in your main tank, use preventative measures like ht tank for new fish, garlic, uv serilizer, and keeping your fish healthy. Slow acclimation (both for water parameters and environmentally) of fish will reduce stress. I tried this stuff with nitroimidazole in it and it seemed to be working but its terribly expensive and needs to be dosed daily for weeks. I unfortunately had to leave partially throught the treatment so im assuming that and the lack of food is what killed my fish.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 4:33pm
Ty all for the advice .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic