Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RSM130 Tank Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSM130 Tank Build
    Posted: February 15 2012 at 12:22pm
Hello everyone!

Its about time i got this build thread started. 

We started it 2/9/12 so it has only been up for only a week now. 

First shot is when i got it home and got the lights hooked up, we placed the tank in the bedroom.

Close up on the inside, still not cleaned

Thursday, put 35 pounds of LS and 43 pounds of LR just waiting for it to clear so we can scape

The wife wasn't interested in the tank to start with so i pushed her into picking out the rocks and doing the scape for me to get her more involved by the end of it she came out with a pretty good scape i think and the most important part is she had a blast doing it. My favorite parts are the caves she gave it.

On 2/12/12 i went to salt water paradise and picked up a small CUC with 5 hermits and 6 snails to hold me over and clean up some of the rock. He also threw in two coral.

Here is one of the hermit we dubbed "Goliath" along with a yellow polyp bunch we got from bill.

Let me know what you guys think.
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 2:16pm
fun tanks I had a silver one just like it.. the only tricky thing with this system is keeping the temp stable in the summer.. i'd recommend that you consider LED's they will cut the heat down and they are totally cool for the color they provide.. As for flow you might find you want to put an mp10 or something on it.. is this your first system?
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 2:21pm
Yes, this is my first system. I am considering going to LED's but the price point is harsh right now, just finished getting everything set up and i still need to stock it.

The temps should be able to keep semi-stable, the tank is in the basement and with the ac running it stays fairly cool. 

Also i think a mp10 is out of my price range for a few months also, but i will see what i can do. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 2:43pm
so not that all that fancy stuff is needed to be successful at all.. it will run great as is.. my only thing is don't freak out when the tank starts going all brown and gets funky stuff on it.. let it ride.. do water changes and keep your alk and calcium stable and don't pound it with fish (yet).. I love swimmers like the next guy.. i'm into my latest system about 3 months and its finally starting to stay clean (weekly water changes)...

plenty on this forum will give you advice so just ask.. great time to be in a thriving hobby.. I have been in this club since the late 90's when plenums were cool.. this board wasn't even around .. we had to call each other or visit alot.. now you have this so take advantage of it.. there are even dudes that can help you build LED systems.. anyway good luck and keep us posted..

Dan
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 2:48pm
I am already to the point where my sand is starting to get daitoms in the sand and on the rock, i noticed it last night as i was topping off the tank. 

As for fish i am a few weeks out on that for sure as of now i know i would like to get a sand sifting goby of some sort. Any suggestions?
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 2:56pm
I've never owned one but I have experience with them and obviously you'll find that the blue spotted jaw is like the coolest (cost wise also).. but I think the diamond head or sleeper goby are prob the biggest sand movers.. that is one of the reason I don't like them to much.. but then again hadn't really thought about getting one.. worked in the industry a bit so that's how I know about them.. Also tho one of my fav' combos' is the symbiotic relationship that like the pistol shrimp and the watchman (among other gobies).. the pistol shrimp is a mover and the goby brings food.. way cool setup.. blennies are kind cool too.. though some of them nip when you put your hand in.. and I hate that...

what kinda coral are you thinking?
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 3:08pm
I am going to pick up a few Zoa's from a buddy tomorrow night, as for others i am still trying to decided on what to get. There are to many choices. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 10:23am
Well the lighting got in last night, i wont have time to put them in today but i should have my moon light kit from RapidLED in tomorrow so i might as well wait so i can install everything at once. 

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 11:00am
Righton!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 1:08pm
Have FUN.  Thats the first rule.  It looks great, enjoy and go SLOW thats the rule that lets you actually get to the first part. 
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 1:14pm
So far it has been slow going, i am adding a piece of coral tonight (zoa) and then back to waiting. i am a few weeks out for a fish at this point. i want to make sure everything is stable before i put one in. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 9:42am
I got my hands on a few coral last night here is a few pics of what i was able to pick up

Zoa's 15+ heads with multipul colors, they are starting to open up slowly.

Here is a NG candy cane, he already has his feeders out and is ready to be fed tonight

And lastly a BRIGHT red mushroom i took one look at him and knew i had to have him.
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic