Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 270 G. Tank! 72"x37"x24"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

alright, you should be alright then.
Any idea what powerheads your going to use? 2 MP40s?

Josh, I'm curious at to what makes you assume he'll be alright?

Troyholl, I hope you don't mind the discussion-
Early estimates lead me to believe your DT and total volume will be very close to ours. We have dual 1" drains which bump to a 2" return on the way back to the sump (approximately 16' away). I also feed a 75G isolation tank through the return and have a manifold set up for a UV sterilizer and a mongrove grow out. With all that, I've still had to throttle the pump to about half capacity to allow the DT drains to keep up. Maybe I missed the details, how far away will your "fish room" sit and is it on the same floor or a different level?

I'm worried to and might go to a smaller pump. The room is just behind the tank so its not got to push very far. 

What pump do you have?

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 2:30pm
We are running the Reeflo Barracuda. I would have probably gone with an even smaller pump. However, that would have meant redoing our plumbing. The Hammerhead and Barracuda share the same footprint and fitting size. Anything else would have required modification. Not something I wanted to mess with.

If you're interested- http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49282&title=our-265-gallon-upgrade-blond-naso

Edited by DLindquist - March 18 2012 at 2:33pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 8:00am
Here is an updated picture of the tank. Eric says it will be done by the end of the week, and Dion started on the stand Monday. The HW floor get done today and I've decided to put tile in the equipment room and I'm hoping to have that going by Friday/Sat.

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

I'm worried to and might go to a smaller pump. The room is just behind the tank so its not got to push very far. 

What pump do you have?

It's not a big deal if it is.  Just call Reeflo and buy a Barracuda or a Goby impeller and swap it out.  They're about $30.

*edit*I'm assuming they interchange like the rest of the Reeflo Pump lines, but I'm not 100% certain that particular line can swap impellers.

Edited by sunflashx - March 21 2012 at 8:52am
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 8:54am
I thought only the "Hybrid" models allowed for the impeller to be swapped out? I got the Gold model not the hybrid.

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

I thought only the "Hybrid" models allowed for the impeller to be swapped out? I got the Gold model not the hybrid.

To the best of my knowledge, the "hybrid" just includes the extra impeller with the package.

When I was shopping,  Reeflo themselves told me the normal Hammerhead, Goby, Barracuda all interchange.  I ended up with the high head line since I pump from my basement and and they all interchange. Tarpon, Wahoo, Marlin...

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 9:35am
cool... I'll probably just try it the way it is, and if the flow is too much I'll see if it can be changed out!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 9:37am
Hardwood in the "Library/Fish Room" is done!!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:24am
Using a smaller impeller will use less electricity than throttling back the flow on the outlet with a ball/gate valve.

Whatever that's worth to you.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 3:26pm
I had my Hammer head throtteled down about 40%. It was pumping 25 line ft from the basement with all 4 holes in a 180 all glass being utilized as returns.

Here is the begining of Troys Stand. Frame has been fabricated and the build up is being done now.

Edited by Dion Richins - March 21 2012 at 3:58pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

I had my Hammer head throtteled down about 40%. It was pumping 25 line ft from the basement with all 4 holes in a 180 all glass being utilized as returns.

Here is the begining of Troys Stand. Frame has been fabricated and the build up is being done now.

Sounds like I may have to throttle back even more as I'll only be pushing a few feet not 25' with 4 returns as well.

Pics of the stand???

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 4:07pm
I cant get them to #($$&%&^$#* post!!

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 4:08pm
Bout time!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 6:01pm
Nice!!! Can't wait to see the finished tank on top of the finished stand!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 8:47pm
OMG just read all of this with no conclusion !!!!!!! I cant wait to see it together .....

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 9:35pm
Unfortunately the conclusion will take a while! One my work is crazy busy, and two... I'm headed on a business trip next week and a vacation in early APril to Hawaii!

We are working towards the delivery of the stand and tank next Friday though and Tyler should also have the sump and frag tank done. The skimmer may take a little bit longer. I also am going to try and put down tile in the equipment room... maybe as early as this weekend. No plumbing will happen until mid APril though... Disapprove

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:13pm
Your sump started taking shape tonight, I will post pics soonWink
Premium aquarium filtration!
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:16pm
COOL!!!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:18pm
Its pretty cool to have three really skilled members of the club working on such critical parts of my build!! 
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:35pm
This is what makes Utah a kick butt place for Aquariums
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic