Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 270 G. Tank! 72"x37"x24"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 10:46pm
Thumbs Up
Premium aquarium filtration!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 2:51pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:21pm
More progress! I also made the decision to put down tile in the equipment room with about 8" trim around the walls to help contain any spillage and to keep the walls from getting wet. We will pick out tile this weekend and get the tile put down during the week next week with the goal of having it in place before the tank, stand, and sump arrive. Its in the equipment room so it won't be in the way of the tank move but regardless I'd like to have it done. After that will be stands for that room that I'll build after our vacation in April....
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:34am
Overflows are in 

[email protected]

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 1:26pm
Cool! Is the tanks drilled now, or do you do that after the silicone is all set?
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 1:53pm
It will be tomorrow...
[email protected]

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 2:12pm
Great. Did you see my text about the timing next Friday with the stand install?
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 2:30pm
Hopefully I have posted this in time and save you some headaches and money.

How thick is that glass? If it is 1/2" or thicker, MP10s won't work. They hold on glass 3/8" or thinner. People have tried 1/2" but the pumps don't last that long.

4 Radions won't cover that size tank. You will need 6 total. 2 rows of 3 to cover the 37" front to back and get enough PAR with the 24" depth.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

How thick is that glass? If it is 1/2" or thicker, MP10s won't work. They hold on glass 3/8" or thinner. People have tried 1/2" but the pumps don't last that long.

4 Radions won't cover that size tank. You will need 6 total. 2 rows of 3 to cover the 37" front to back and get enough PAR with the 24" depth.

Thanks! I wasn't aware on the mo10 limitation. I've seen pics of them on larger tanks so that is a surprise. I had not purchased them yet so no big deal.

Yes, I know I'll need more Radians. Either 5 or 6 is my plan. Not sure if I could make 5 work or not.
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Thanks! I wasn't aware on the mo10 limitation. I've seen pics of them on larger tanks so that is a surprise. I had not purchased them yet so no big deal.

Yes, I know I'll need more Radians. Either 5 or 6 is my plan. Not sure if I could make 5 work or not.

For me, I would look at the tank as 2 separate portions. You are lighting 2 areas of 36x37 instead of 1 area that is 72x37.

You will want 3 Radions over each 36x37 area. 2 might work but I think you would be limited on corals and placement.

If you aren't dead set on the Radions, there are other options that may work well for you.

Ecoxotic, Pacific Sun and Reeftech are all good companies to look into as well. I am not a huge Pacific Sun fan but that is because of their old distributor and a VERY long story. Their products seem top notch though.

I personally use Ecoxotic stuff and have been happy with it. This is all MY opinion though. I am sure you have done extensive research on the topic.

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:23pm
So the question becomes, do I now go with 4 MP40's... or maybe just add an MP60 to go with the two MP40s...
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 9:11pm
Here is your sump minus the blue eurobrace (yet to be installed). Nevermind the extra acrylic around the edges, it gets flush cut after its finished. 

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - April 03 2012 at 10:35pm
Premium aquarium filtration!
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 9:29pm
Looking good! I'm VERY excited to see the BLUE eurobracing as well! I really like the one you did with Red, and I think blue will be even more cool!

I made a bit of progress today. Seems like I worked harder than the results show, but at least its moving in the right direction. I wired in a fan today along with a dehumidifier switch. In addition I have about 75% of the room wiring completed. I'm running two dedicated 20amp circuits into the room. The hard part in both the wiring and the fan is the fact my basement is finished and I have to tell you; for the inexperienced electrician that I am... pulling wiring through my basement was a #$%@#^ difficult job! I'm close though... would have been done but its 9:30pm and I ran short on wire and I really don't want to visit home depot again today!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 6:05am
Wiring done! At least all the wiring runs and boxes anyway! I also got the 1st coat of patching done on the walls from where the closet shelving was before, and where I had to cut holes into the walls to pull wiring through. Finally I have all the plumbing supplies for the sink and drains. I've got to run water lines to the sink area next.

I'm off on a business trip for 3-days. The next big event will be the tank and stand install on Friday am! 
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 7:52pm
Tomorrow is the big tank install day!! Dion will be here to install the stand and Eric will deliver and place the tank later... and then Dion will finish up the stand!!

Excitement!!

Also I finished up the equipment room tile today. 

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:33am
In progress pics! Movies and final pictures to follow up tonight....

Dion and Eric have great teams and both did an awesome job! I would certainly recommend them to everyone for their builds, they do awesome work!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:37am
Very cool!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:43am
That is looking TOTALLY SWEEEEET ! CoolCoolCool
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 3:04pm
Very Beautiful setup.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 4:55pm
I think I found my next tank. I wasnt going to upgrade with the new home but..........This one is definetly sweet!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic