Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dying fish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dying fish
    Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:36am
Over the last week I've now slowly lost 3 fish after not losing any fish in close to two years. They go from looking fine, to hiding for a day to head the next.

Now my beloved powder blue is sick.

I can't see any Ich on him but his fins are looking really bad. The others fish that died didnt have anything on them that looked wrong before or after they died.

No fish have been added or any changes made to the tank other then a couple frags added in the last couple weeks.

I put the tang in my acclimation box to get some pics and to either do something for him or if I need to just take him out.

Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:50am
Strange white spots by the head

fins all torn up

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:50am
nothing comes to mind, I hope someone has an idea

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:54am
You don't even know what it is?

I run a UV 24/7, and carbon.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:05am
Do the fish show signs of rapid breathing? I had something go through my tank once and kill all but one fish and they went one at a time. Each would start with signs of rapid breathing and then a couple days later they were dead. It would make sense if a new fish had been added but my only other thought is that something came over from one of those frags. I never found out what killed my fish but my guess was a gill fluke. sorry to hear about your fish
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:17am
It isnt breathing rapidly like most fish that are about to die are. Its just sitting there hardly moving.

My other fish that died was a flame hawk and wrasse and they both were hidden the day before they died and then I found them dead so I don't know how they looked or behaved.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:25am
Hard to see but a strange white puss or glue looking stuff forming all around the bottom of the tail.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:36am
I know salinity is important for a lot of the different diseases. Mine currently is at .025
Everything else in the tank, coral, inverts, and other fish are all doing great.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:09am
That reallly sucks Laird. There def is something up with that fish. I haven't ever seen it though. Maybe this link can help ID it.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:29am
I would get a hold of Reef'd Up ASAP.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:29am
Based on the fish acting normally but having deteriorated fins I would guess a bacterial infection since fungal infections are rare in saltwater are rare. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I want to say something i saw like this and it was gram negative. What about amyloodinium??
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:41am
Btw, I'll be home at 5. I can swing by then and bring my arsenal of mess if you want. Sorry I'm on my phone.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:38pm
I have it in a friends QT copper system now. Doubt it makes it but I needed to get it out of the tank.

Ryan at AD thought it was a fungus based on the pictures. But its weird that I've lost other nontang fish.

i don't know anything about amyloodinium, i'm researching it now.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:40pm
I'd also like to add that the weird white gooey stuff on its tail was getting larger. Really weird.   

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:48pm
I just don't get how it could come out of know where like this. Can any of the possible fungus or bacterias come attached to frags?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I just don't get how it could come out of know where like this. Can any of the possible fungus or bacterias come attached to frags?

Absolutely.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:11pm
I should rephrase that. I know that fungus and bacteria can come on frags and thats why everything frag and i mean every single frag that goes into the tank is dipped. I just meant that these particular kinds of bacteria that we are talking about can come on frags?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:12pm
Damn this sucks bro I hope you can figure it out and dont lose anymore fish.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I should rephrase that. I know that fungus and bacteria can come on frags and thats why everything frag and i mean every single frag that goes into the tank is dipped. I just meant that these particular kinds of bacteria that we are talking about can come on frags?

Best of luck with your Tang.

Does anyone know if coral dips are effective against bacteria and fungus that affect fish?  
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 2:36pm
If your using an iodine dip, bacteria should be eliminated, fungus are pretty hard to kill so I would be pretty surprised if anyone made any strong claims against fungus in their coral dip products.  But I don't actually know what people claim, as I just use Iodine dropped into salt water from a bottle that is not marketed as an aquarium supply...so I am way out in la la land doing it my own way.  
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic