Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank leaked, now nitrates are climbing..HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JBeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank leaked, now nitrates are climbing..HELP
    Posted: February 25 2012 at 9:42am

My tank sprang leaked on Tuesday and i set up a closed loop pond in my kitchen and am trying to do water changes, but the nitrates are climbing too fast... any advice or ideas?
?

Edited by JBeck - February 25 2012 at 10:14am
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 10:25am
Do you have any room left to grow some macro?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 10:33am
When I was first starting out and had a sump with no baffles I got some of those floating baskets that they have a birdworld to put my macro in. I actually probably still have one if you'd like to borrow it, I can give a little macro too.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
JBeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Rara Rara wrote:

Do you have any room left to grow some macro?

Thanks for the advice.. I just added some!
JBeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

When I was first starting out and had a sump with no baffles I got some of those floating baskets that they have a birdworld to put my macro in. I actually probably still have one if you'd like to borrow it, I can give a little macro too.

I just rigged something up, but thanks for the offer on the baskets and the macro!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 1:40pm
I want a saltwater pond thats a good idea Wink
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 4:15pm
I had something simmilar for my turtles. they got too big so outside they went. I've often thought about setting it back up, especially after seeing this setup. Are you just using the windows for lighting?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
JBeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

I had something simmilar for my turtles. they got too big so outside they went. I've often thought about setting it back up, especially after seeing this setup. Are you just using the windows for lighting?

I've been using the whole hood off my tank. For the macro I've got my old stump light. Not very pretty, but it's working.

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 10:42pm
not pretty but cool.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:24am
Hmmm.... a tidal lagoon, you have hit on a new idea... if that sucker was acrylic and you set it up just a little different with lights suspended from the ceiling WOW!  I hope your new tank/fix comes along quickly. I would imagine that the nitrates are just from disturbing everything on the transfer and that with a big chunk of cheato and good flow they will come down and the system should be ok for a while.  I can give you another big chunk of cheato- as I would imagine that in this case you literally cannot have enough.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic