Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To reduce flow or not....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To reduce flow or not....
    Posted: March 09 2012 at 11:11am
The old question I see alot is "can I have to much flow?". Heres my deboggle. 30 gallon breeder with 2 koralia #2s(600gph ea.) I really cant aim them in a place where I can get flow where I feel I need it without blowing my coral to much. My poor kenya looks like its in a catagory 5 hurricane. I need flow in the front area of my sandbed. Should I eliminate one koralia or down size both to maybe 250gph? Im getting green cyno (I think) and Im sure low flow over the sand bed is one problem. What would you do?
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 5:07pm
I have been told that there is no such thing as too much flow, as long as it isn't creating a sandstorm. I'm sure there's other places in your tank with lower flow for your kenya. just try different spots. :)

Jake
90 Gallon reef
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 6:32pm
From what I've noticed things are happier in my tank with more flow and growing better and faster.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:54am
opposite experience here- in my experience you can easily have too much flow....flow is especially difficult in a mixed reef as your LPS/softies won't open/extend in too much flow, but your SPS will love it.  However, I had too much flow in my sps dominate 33 gallon....MP40 was running and corals were blasted so much, polyp extension was not good.....decreased it down to 20% power and polyp extension has dramatically improved

yes- you can have to much flow, let your corals tell you!  Finding the balance to keep everyone happy is the challenge.  May require you to move corals around or to make established "high flow" areas, "medium flow" areas, and "low flow" areas in your tank.....requirements for coral differ, I have never seen requirements for coral care to say "high flow" or as much flow as you can, across the board.

Experiment with different flows and watch how your corals respond after a few days! Good luck.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 12:57am
btw- in your case, I would downsize powerheads to smaller ones, but add a third one.....with koralia's especially, more powerheads to randomize the flow is usually better, rather than one or two that result in high blasting for corals close by and lack of flow for distant corals.  Three smaller powerheads would also allow you to fine tune random flow patterns.  
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 8:10am
I would go with smaller korillas and 3 of them as well. I have 2 mp10's in a cube and at full force my lps get pissed.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic