Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RO Unit Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RO Unit Help
    Posted: May 24 2003 at 12:15pm

I got ready to do a water change this weekend and for some reason my RO unit only had maybe 2 gallons of water ready.  I have a 13 gallon drum just for water change that is pressurized.  Over the next two days I have only been able to get maybe 1 gallon of water a day out of it.  So I go downstairs where the unit and drum are.  The kids have somehow gotten off the lid to where you pressurize the thing(I have no idea if they have let all the air out or not)  So  just assuming that was the problem and they let the air out - I pumped it back up. 

It still isn't producing nearly the amount of water that it should and when you drink it now it has a nasty taste to it.  Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this or any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 2:14pm
Do you have a tds meter I would for sure test that. The fact that the ro water tastes nasty is a sign of contamination.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:09pm

I had to have some water for a water change so I bought some at Mountain Shadow today and took some water down with me to test and TDS came out at 0.  I guess I'll have to look at it more the next couple of days.  Thanks!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:09pm

Bacteria fouling

How many gallons have been produced from the unit. Most recommend cleaning or replacing the R.O. membrane at 5000 gallons.(depending on which type of membrane)

Washing  the membrane in soapy water can sometimes bring it back.

Also check the other media and replace if used for more than 1000 gallons(?)check the label for exact recommendations

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:12pm
Mark - I've got  the membrame and other media on order now - Hopefully that is part of the problem.  Thanks!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:18pm

What price on the membrane?

I have bought the media at Home Depot and the membrane at a local water softener store.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:32pm
Mark I found it through these guys here - http://www.ohio-water-purifiers.com - $63 for all three media and then $59 for new membrame.  Almost $100+ I could find cheaper anywhere else.  Unless I'm looking in the wrong places.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2003 at 9:00am
I don't know where you could do any better than that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic