Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ackbar's 16 Nuvo Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ackbar's 16 Nuvo Tank
    Posted: March 19 2012 at 10:20am

Thanks for looking, hopefully this thread will be ongoing!

Here is a Rundown of the tank plans and what will be going into it. 

Equipment:
16 Gallon Aquarium NUVO Aquarium (plan to remove one section of sponges) 
Fiji Live Rock (16 - 20 lbs) (including rubble for the back)
Chaetomorpha Algae for the Refugium

Cleaning Crew:
Astraea Turbo 6
Margarita Snail 4
Cerith Snail 3
Peppermint Shrimp 1

Sorry for the crappy quality of this first picture, I snapped it really fast this morning before heading into work. I just wanted to show the progress of aquascaping. I dont think its quite there but thats part of the fun!

Cleaning Crew:
Astraea Turbo 6
Margarita Snail 4
Cerith Snail 3
Peppermint Shrimp 1

The tank before I started putting in water / rocks.

Powerhead

Back side, left section now has some LR rubble in the second chamber.

Heater, mechanical filtration, Refugium light and pump.

More to come!

Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 9:10am
I was thinking of removing that other filter just seems kinda low quality and finicky. I was playing around with the setup of the rocks while Im waiting for it to be ready for the cleanup crew. Here are some more pictures. 

Previous, I decided it was a little to "Archy"

Current

Trying to shoot some of the rocks, they have purple looking dots all over them. Turns out thats a hard color to bring out with blue lighting. 
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 12:40pm
I went to do some testing today and noticed that I accidentally bought a Freshwater testing kit. (here) The instructions talk about testing salt water, does anyone know if I can use this kit still or if I need to send it back for a saltwater version?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 12:56pm
Looks good to me.

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 2:13pm
ITS A TRAP! haha thanks Tanuki!
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 1:34pm
Can anyone tell me if the Chaetomorpha Algae is the best type to put in the Refugium? Was going to get that ordered in the next couple days just wanted to ensure I was making a good choice. 
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 1:49pm
Looks nice. 

You should get some chaeto from someone local, then you'll get a bunch of pods and snails and such.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 2:36pm
Admiral- looks great. Don't order chaeto. Plenty of people (like me) always have it available.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 3:33pm
That sounds awesome, how time sensitive is getting that Alga in at the beginning of the process here? Would I be fine waiting till like the meetup on the 5th? (if someone wants to sell me \ donate a bit of alga ;)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 3:40pm
Just post in the classifieds that you need some, there are always people getting rid of some.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 3:43pm
Wait a while. If you don't have nutrients the alga will starve and die... and then you'll have nutrients!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 8:49pm
Hello! just thought id give an update! Its been a couple months and I have gotten a frag or two and some fishes in there. My tanks params have been fairly stable, yet the last few days I have had a bit of cloudy 
water. Seems I was overfeeding the tank a bit. (the poor fish just seem so hungry!)

Still working on my Gluing skills...

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 9:05pm
Lookin good!  I like your final rockwork better.  Hehe...my gluing skills haven't improved yet really...I usually end up covered in goo after fragging. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 8:49am
Woo thank you! Yeah when I was originally doing it I did not realized I actually needed to make something a little more practical than "cool" looking. I would have not had much space for corals with some of those attempts. 

Seriously, I had that gell stuff stuck to my fingers and ruined a shirt. 
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 5:49pm
Must be doing something right! Shrimp molted today!

edit ( add picture)

Edited by Ackbar - May 03 2012 at 5:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic