Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 10:58pm
17 years reefing and I've never used a grounding probe. Our last set up must of had a short somewhere. If I touched the reflector while my arm was in the water, I got a jolt. Never affected any coral or fish. I read somewhere on RC about the potential problems associated with using a grounding probe- something about completing the circuit. I personally question this being the problem.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 10:56am
Grounding probes have never been part of my systems, though I don't doubt that they could help in some situations, but it's important to remember that every tank is different and that a grounding probe really should be used in combination with a GFCI. This has been discussed by us here many times.

Some granules of AC won't hurt a thing. It's the dust that has been known to cause problems.

I don't care what Thrive says to dose. A reading of 5.8 dKH means you better add a lot more Alkalinity quickly or the entire tank will soon suffer even more, even the Coral. After all the special products which give instructions for 2-part dosing, you should know the truth. Those instructions are lame. Few tanks will last long by continuously dosing equal parts. A hobbyist needs to learn that if Calcium is low, more Calcium solution needs to be added and if Alkalinity is low, add more Alkalinity solution. Alkalinity is just simple Baking Soda. Baking soda is a very common chemical called Bicarbonate of Soda (NaHCO3). It should be added in sufficient quantity/frequency to keep Alk at 8-14 dKH .

The water is all connected. The probe can be placed anywhere in the water but is most convenient and out of sight in the Sump/Refugium. For now, I wouldn't worry another moment about the grounding probe.

If I were you, I would arrange to learn from other hobbyists. Go visit them, see their tanks and talk fish. It's easy to meet others right here and to ask to visit. Most of us love to show off our tanks and are very happy to help another hobbyist.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:47am
On the probe I have mine in my main tank but is hidden behind the overflow.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:24pm
I would love to see other peoples tanks and get straight bare bone advice. I just can't keep throwing money and time into something with no result. If anyone is interested.

I now seem to have an increase of hair algae. Fish dying and now this. I can't get out of this hole
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 3:56pm
Hang in there! I've lost SO much money and livestock in my ~ 12 years doing this, I'd almost rather not think about it. So painful to watch stuff die and flush money down the drain but we are here to help.

Patience, chemistry and proper levels are essential in this hobby, and once you find that balance you'll stop losing fish for the most part. Stuff will die, but it shouldn't be as frequently.

Crashes are tough and the snowball effect can be disastrous, things just keep dying, which knocks the levels even more out of balance, which causes more die off, and on and on and on.

A hospital/quarantine tank is especially helpful, and although it can be tough to catch fish to get them into quarantine can be tough, it's better than having everything crash.

The Reef Tour is next month - feel free to come and see my setup and ask all the questions in the world. I am not saying mine is perfect by any means, but IMO, it really helps to see successful setups although as they say "your mileage may vary"

Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 10:06pm
Well now I face hair algae. And a lot of it. My water tests near perfect now. Ugh
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 1:06am
I guess there is no more advice. Thank anyway
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 10:26am
Oh my goodness, of course I have tons of advice. Big smile This is my 15,498th post but only a portion of what I have learned in this hobby is written here.
Have you followed the advice given above? "If I were you, I would arrange to learn from other hobbyists. Go visit them, see their tanks and talk fish. It's easy to meet others right here and to ask to visit. Most of us love to show off our tanks and are very happy to help another hobbyist."

We haven't yet talked about the easy way to find if extra stray electricity is running through your tank.

I give more advice on controlling algae than any other problem. If you have read the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below, you probably found this, my experience in 1996 with the Ugly Green Haired Mermaid in my tank. My advice regarding nuisance algae is in several Tips but can be summed up in three words, "Snails, Snails, Snails". These need to be herbivorous snails, not the dirt cheap Nasarrius Snails that don't eat algae.

It really helps if you could post a pic of the tank and ask specific questions.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 01 2012 at 10:28am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:44am
Please give an update, telling what has been done/added to the tank and it's history of the last few weeks.
Also tell us what Garlic Products were used, when did Ich reappear, and how long recent fish survived.
Please feel free to call. It's sometimes easier to talk things through because as we talk, things will come to mind that never would have come up in typing.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 8:38am
I have since added 25 turbo snails for the algea problem. I didnt have any snail at all before and they are doing a hell of a job! Im so impressed!! Snails were added last saturday so now my question is, whats my next step? Should I wait a little while longer to try fish again? In all honesty I dont remember when I added a fish, its been that long. I guess iv let the tank go unnoticed for me exept for maintain it and up keep. Coral continues to do great. I just want some fish to compliment it and bring everything together.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 8:59am
I would say try adding a damsel, and document on here what happens (with pictures).  
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 11:59am
A damsel? Why? Because it is cheap?

I disagree. If cheap is the reason, there are plenty of other choices.... an extra Chromis for example that will school with the already existing ones. Damsels are mean and very hard to catch once you decide (which most people do) that you no longer want it in the tank.

David, do you have another reason for choosing damsel? I am by no means an expert and would love to hear the reasoning.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 12:17pm
They are cheap and hardy (and he mentioned that he can't even keep them alive).  But a chromis is fine too.  
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 12:35pm
They're definitely hardy. I always feel bad when I see damsels, I feel like they are destined for the home made spear when people get sick of them. 
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 1:43pm
Iv never been a fan of damsels anyway and chromis are so plain. But ill give it a shot in about another week. Wish me luck!
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 1:48pm
Gobies are usually fairly inexpensive. Good Luck!!
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Davidwillis Davidwillis wrote:

I would say try adding a damsel, and document on here what happens (with pictures).  

+1
Or likewish similarly cheap hardy fish.  Take daily water parameters and notate fish behavior and health, preferably with photos.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 7:10pm
Ill keep an update. With pics
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 8:23am
What you need to do is add an ugly or really mean fish that you hate.   It will last for years
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:10am
I respectfully disagree.
I would not use a Damsel in this way.
There is no need to shoot aimless into the dark. We can illuminate this and actually help you resolve the problem. To work toward the resolution, please post a pic of how it looks today and what are the most recent Alk and Ca readings.

Also, as requested earlier, please show a pic of the sump/Refugium area.
Is there a glass top over this tank?
After re-examining the pic on the previous page, I'd like to see a closeup pic of the left side of the tank, specifically the rock there, maybe even taken from the side.
Oh, and can you test the pH at between 5-6AM and share the result with us?
Thanks
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 24 2012 at 11:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic