Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving/upgrading the aquariums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving/upgrading the aquariums
    Posted: March 20 2012 at 1:12pm

Im in the process of moving into my new apartment and I have some questions about moving the aquariums. I have an original 29g biocube with sand/LR/corals and a few nano-sized fish. My girlfriend has a 29g HQI, her water quality went south and all her fish died, ive taken over maintenance on her tank. I wondering if i can empty her tank and put the contents of my tank in there immediately or will i need to cycle her tank first.

Also when i move the tanks i dont want to stir up to much of the sand bed, the LFS said it would be a good idea to rinse the sand out with some of the saltwater and to keep a large portion of the tank water to keep your biologicals. How much should i keep and how soon after setting the tank back up should i do a water change?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 2:43pm
The answers to most of your questions are in the discussions we have had that are linked below in the Reefkeeping Tips. Look for the three related tips on "Moving a tank...", "using old sand" and more.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 2:58pm
I read through Mark's tips before moving an established 72 bowfront to my house. 
Worked like a charm and there was no new cycle.
Clanure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clanure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 9:30pm
I moved a 90g and managed to keep everything (coral and fish) alive.  I kept 95% of the water for the move and let the sand settle a bit after the move before adding the fish and LR with coral on it.  It's been up and running now for about 3 weeks.  The LFS said to wait a couple of weeks before a water change to let things settle.

Lynn
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 9:56pm
I have done a few tank moves, didnt rinse the sand used as much of the water as I could. Best thing is do it as fast as you can without letting it sit. Also used Alpha after everything was back in the tank.Everything went great.Good luck.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:32pm
Water changes are over-rated.
I recommend keeping a close eye on Alk, & Ca, and only occasional checking of Mg and I(Iodine/Iodide).
Add inexpensive homemade supplements as needed and do just 10% monthly water changes.
Food provides most of the trace elements but watch carefully to avoid overfeeding.
Keep a close eye on algae growth, adding more snails as necessary to keep nuisance algae in check.
Let the biofiltration grow, even to the point of the tank being a little "dirty" or overgrown in places because this is the way Mother Nature does her biofiltration with LS, LR, Algae and LW.

Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic