Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you have MH? Want to save money?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you have MH? Want to save money?
    Posted: March 22 2012 at 5:37pm
Then throw them in the trash!!!!   3 months ago I got a ATI T-5 fixture,72 x 8 bulb set up. My power bill has drop a steady $150.00 per month for the last 3 months. After 6 months of owning these they will truly pay for themselves......

The color is better and coral are growing faster with this lighting set up. There is NO downside.....
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 5:59pm
That's the kind of info I like to see.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 6:08pm
How is that possible? I've got almost 1000W of MH lights over my tank...and our power bill isn't even $150. Our lights cost us about $35 per month.... Were you running a chiller or something? 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 6:17pm
For my particular setup I can't say that would save me any money.  My MH is lower wattage than most and I run 2 t-5's.  If you are looking for long lasting economical awesome lighting for your corals hit up Sitaga he has been working on some high output lower cost LED setups and he could maybe work out something.  I am going to get one from him as soon as I can get back working.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 7:47pm
No chiller but I did need to run a fan to keep it cool due to the MH. I have a 180 and was running 3 250 PFO ballasts and Blue Line bulbs. My power bill used to run well over $300.00 a month....
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:20pm
I run 3 fans on my 150g (+50g sump) with 2 x 400W MH plus 2 x 54W T-5's.  Just computing my electrical consumption comes up no where near the electrical consumption you guys have:

Like I said, our bill hasn't hit $150 yet...much less $150 per month for lighting.  And did I mention we have 9 total aquariums (not all with high output lighting)? 

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:32pm
I'm sort of with Reef'd Up. I calculate that my 400 watt halide can cost me $10 to $20 per month. My whole tank (with halides) is about $80 per month to run.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:42pm
We are running three 400W MH's, two 160W VHO's, two canopy fans, a Reeflo Baracuda (something like 280 W) two Vortech's.... Yada Yada, a hot tub, a pond less water feature and whatever power the house uses. Our bill averages $266 a month. That takes account for our two-three peak summers months of $350. I imagine our total electrical costs to be around $60 a month for our tank.

Power costs aside-
Connie, I am curious how often you will need to replace bulbs. I've heard mixed reviews about T-5's. Many say for adequate lighting the bulbs should be over driven which leads to replacing bulbs every 6 months. I've also heard if the bulbs are not kept cool, they shift colors and need frequent replacing. Keep us updated as time progresses.

Edited by DLindquist - March 22 2012 at 8:46pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:51pm
Man how do you guys have such low power bills? Ours doesnt go below $250 even in winter and i know my house isnt nearly as big as some others have. Anyway when i have changed aquariums going from very large to very small i barely see a differwnce in the bill...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:54pm
When I was with my 210 with 3 MH at 250 watts a piece our bill was like $170 average, now with a smaller tank we dont go over $100 ever. usually averaging out at $65 a month 

That is sweet that it saves you so much! I have heard that before! I too wonder how often you will need to change them to keep your tank so freakin amazing! 

Edited by disneymania - March 22 2012 at 9:05pm
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 8:57pm
Im in a 2 bedroom apt in Sandy and my last power bill was $62.50 thats up from like $38 . my tank at 78 keeps it kinda warm in here lol My water sewage bill is $85 ....I run a 6x54w t-5 mag return 160 swc 18w sterile 3 power heads etc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Man how do you guys have such low power bills? Ours doesnt go below $250 even in winter and i know my house isnt nearly as big as some others have. Anyway when i have changed aquariums going from very large to very small i barely see a differwnce in the bill...

If there's no savings in power consumption, I say "Go (and stay) Large"
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I'm sort of with Reef'd Up. I calculate that my 400 watt halide can cost me $10 to $20 per month. My whole tank (with halides) is about $80 per month to run.

Adam

That is right where I'm at.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 10:50pm
If you run your tank off from peak hour you can save even more. I usually get home around 6 pm and it allow me more viewing time.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

If there's no savings in power consumption, I say "Go (and stay) Large"

No I am just trying to figure out why our power bill is so high. Maybe it's all he constant running omputers, we have like 3-4 desktops that are on constantly
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 12:27am
its called stacking and phase the right way .....never over load 1 leg of power simple to do just ask 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 7:52am
[QUOTE=DLindquist]We are running three 400W MH's, two 160W VHO's, two canopy fans, a Reeflo Baracuda (something like 280 W) two Vortech's.... Yada Yada, a hot tub, a pond less water feature and whatever power the house uses. Our bill averages $266 a month. That takes account for our two-three peak summers months of $350. I imagine our total electrical costs to be around $60 a month for our tank.

Correction/Clarification to previous post-
   I just opened our current Lehi City Bill. It totals $249.90. However, that includes water,sewer, garbage and a few other items. Our total electritcity portion of that same bill is $157.69. Comparing this year to last year (same month) our bill is about $28 higher. I am sure this is the larger tank running a much larger pump and an additional 1000W's of lighting.

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:22am
My power bill this month was $98. Guess sometimes it does pay to have a small tank (or three . . . )!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:30am

[QUOTE=DLindquist]We are running three 400W MH's, two 160W VHO's, two canopy fans, a Reeflo Baracuda (something like 280 W) two Vortech's.... Yada Yada, a hot tub, a pond less water feature and whatever power the house uses. Our bill averages $266 a month. That takes account for our two-three peak summers months of $350. I imagine our total electrical costs to be around $60 a month for our tank.

Correction/Clarification to previous post-
   I just opened our current Lehi City Bill. It totals $249.90. However, that includes water,sewer, garbage and a few other items. Our total electritcity portion of that same bill is $157.69. Comparing this year to last year (same month) our bill is about $28 higher. I am sure this is the larger tank running a much larger pump and an additional 1000W's of lighting.

Gotta love the Lehi City Power Co - my bill is under $200 except for July when the AC is cranking 24 /7 and the lawn watering is at the peak.

But then again you guys have never had the horror of a LIPA bill... I remember getting bills from back in 2002 that were 4 hundred a month Dead and I didn't even have Central AC...

Edited by BobC63 - March 23 2012 at 8:30am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:40am

Power costs aside-
Connie, I am curious how often you will need to replace bulbs. I've heard mixed reviews about T-5's. Many say for adequate lighting the bulbs should be over driven which leads to replacing bulbs every 6 months. I've also heard if the bulbs are not kept cool, they shift colors and need frequent replacing. Keep us updated as time progresses.

Just clearing up some misinformation and also strengthing Connie, lol - there are way too many MH lovers in this thread!

1. for adequate lighting the bulbs should be over driven - False - her ATI is putting out just as much if not more light than many 250-400 watt MH setups....google for PAR readings, or go to link below.  I'm surprised how people still assume this to be the case....

2. Over driving bulbs leads to replacing every 6 months - True - her ATI doesn't overdrive bulbs, nor does it need to unless she wanted to bleach every coral in sight, replacement is not necessary for 10-12 months as the ATI fixture is stellar at cooling the bulbs properly.  <- this has been tested and proven, RC - you can find the test results on how much PAR drops each month here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1641235

Most important piece of information in here is that Connie switched from MH to the ATI and now finds that her colors and growth have improved....

Maybe she is in denial because she spent so much money on the fixture, or maybe she is telling the truth?!  I would be more interested in some before and after pics?  Who cares about cost? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic