Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

System Kinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System Kinks
    Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:27am
Ok so I got all of my plumbing done last night and started up the pump, but I am running into an issue.

I don't know if it is an emergency or not, but I want to make sure that this isn't damaging the equipment.

I can't get this noise to go away.  I have moved the return heads a little and the noise stops of a few seconds then starts again.  I am wondering if I just need to tighten something or what?

The noise only comes from the returns on the left side of the tank.

Once I get this figured out, I should be good, but I want to make sure it is not going to hurt the system at all.

Any help is VERY much appreciated.

Edited by Tanuki - March 23 2012 at 8:27am
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:35am
Sorry... not quite grasping what's making the noise nor exactly what were supposed to see in the picture.  Looks like a 90 elbow coming off a smaller diameter pipe, is that the return, and is there a nozzle in the tank... and what does the noise sound like, vibration?  COuld it just be bubbles trapped in a line that has high velocity water going through it?  
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:45am
If you click the picture it is a video.  Sorry I didnt explain that well.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:55am
What happens when you put your fingers over the end of the return to partially restrict the flow from the right or the left?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:59am
It maintains the sound.

I have a ball valve on the return line in the garage.  When I open it all the way the sound is worse, but when it is nearly closed it does go down a little bit.

I am wondering if maybe the nuts on the return lines arent tight enough? I am not sure.  I haven't completely closed the ball valve either, but that is for obvious reasons. 

I will pay someone to come fix it if they can this afternoon. 

I don't think I can sleep another night with the noise.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:02am
Brent -

Are you getting any air bubbles coming from that return?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:06am
No air bubbles.  The water is a bit murky though right now though from the sand moving. 
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:26am
could the pipes be resonating/ shaking?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:40am
I was thinking a loose fitting sucking in air... but you would be getting alot of bubbles / micro bubbles if that were the case.

So possibly some resonation, especially if it gets 'worse" with the ball joint full open.

I would start by looking at the holes where the pipe passes thorugh the walls and see if there is any contact or noticeable vibration.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:47am
Oh the noise is in the overflow chamber.  It is also specific to that side. so it has to be around there I think.  
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 3:31pm
That is interesting. Any chance you have something (small part) in the return line that is stuck at the elbow?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

I have a ball valve on the return line in the garage.  When I open it all the way the sound is worse, but when it is nearly closed it does go down a little bit....
I don't think I can sleep another night with the noise.
Earplugs? Wink
Try these things to see what happens:

Turn off the return pump and listen for when the noise stops. If it stops immediately or almost immediately, this tells you that it has to do with the return side, the powered side of the system. If it keeps going while the pump is off but while the major portion of water is draining that tells you it is the draining side of the system.

Place your hand over part of the overflow to change where and how the water is falling. What does that do to the sound?

What style are the overflow standpipes? Durso or something else? Is there a valve on the drain line where you can change the water flow coming into the sump/Refugium?

Do you remember how my large 2 section frag tank was set up? It was completely quiet and yet it had a flow down the drain of almost 1200 gph. I'd be happy to help you get this fixed. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 24 2012 at 11:49am
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:43pm
Tanuki, Remember we kinda talked about this when i was at your house and said thats crazy loud. give me a call then you get a chance we can make it allot quieter but you will still have a little nose cause of the 10+ feet of drain..  
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 10:05pm
Aha! Eric has the answer.
10+ feet of drain makes plenty of room to back up the flow with a valve which can completely quiet the sound of water falling down the drain piping. A long/large screen on top will keep it flowing and prevent a flood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic