Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brittle starfish???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brittle starfish???
    Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:27pm
So I have ALOT of little stars all over and I think there killing my Zoas Iv seen my zoas go from GREAT to Bad in the last few weeks I thought it was from me cleaning the glass a week ago but Iv seen the little stars all over my zoas now theres a PIX its a cell phone PIX what eats or kills the stars?
You cant tell in the PIX but he is Green and brown I have them EVERYWHERE!!

24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:51pm
Brandon - I don't think they are bad you. I have a ton of them in my tank and they are great clean up crew.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 10:37pm
Harlequin Shrimp will eat starfish
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 11:09pm
I all ready have a Harlequin Shrimp they eat the little white stars well if there good ill leave them but it just seems like they are the only thing ill hive it time and see what happens
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 11:33pm
yeah these are a great part of your clean up crew and are harmless. Every healthy tank has a bunch, you just normally don't see them.

Also harlequins will not touch brittle stars....
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 11:36pm
I haven't seen any little brittles in my tank. Will they come from my bigger brittle starfish?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:48am
I did not know they didn't eat brittles..... yay for my daily dose of "learn something new"!

Edited by McClure - March 24 2012 at 12:49am
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 9:07am
Love those stars. Feel free to bring a bag of them at the next meeting!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2012 at 11:23am
The Stars are probably cleaning up around the zoanthids or catching and eating whatever is bothering or cleaning.
May we see a pic of the Zoanthids to try to help you figure out why they are not doing well?
Also post a pic of the entire tank and tell us the Alk and Ca levels.
Is anything else doing poorly?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic