Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is my 225 gallon aquarium going to break??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gmc9sqm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmc9sqm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is my 225 gallon aquarium going to break??????
    Posted: March 28 2012 at 10:02pm
i'm in the process of setting up my 225 gallon acrylic aquarium, i finally got it all filled up tonight and stood on the end of it looking along the front, there is quite the bow in the front panel. the dimensions are 72x24x30 and its built out of 1/2" acrylic. its also reinforced around the top and bottom with 1/2"x1/2" square brace. Thanks in advance for any help. I am just trying to figure out if I need to drain this ASAP or if it's okay.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 10:04pm
Has it ever held water before or is it a new tank?

The 225g I used to own was made of 3/4" acrylic, eurobraced around the top
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
gmc9sqm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmc9sqm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 10:10pm
i bought it from a guy that said he had it set up for a while but i never actually saw it with water in it. here is a picture of the bracing on the top, sorry its kinda hard to tell whats going on 
gmc9sqm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmc9sqm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 10:12pm
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 7:15am
IMHO, 1/2" acrylic is to thin for a tank that size. How bad is it bowing? Are the acrylic joints good? Are the joints very clear or do they have bubbles or crazing going on?
Premium aquarium filtration!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 7:18am
WOW, the top doesnt look like it has enough bracing, I would also agree 1/2 isnt thick enough for a 30"
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

gmc9sqm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmc9sqm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 9:42am
It is bowing pretty good almost a 1/2 inch. There is a slight bit of crazing, is it bad to have crazing, or is a little bit okay?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:10am
Yeah I have a 180 and there is no bowing at all.  I would be super nervous to have a 225 that is bowing.

Maybe fill the tank halfway, have salt tank below, and iguana cage above ;)
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 5:58pm
I would drain it! Sorry man that sucks!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 6:02pm
Yes crazing is bad, that can mean a couple of things but usually means it is getting stressed. Sorry to say, but I would drain it its not worth risking and having 225 gallons on your floorAngry
Premium aquarium filtration!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 8:28am
or set up in garage
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 9:03am
So is there anything that can be done, or is the tank useless?
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 9:54am
Would adding additional bracing on top help?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 9:57am
I am assuming that the bowing is in the middle of the panels
So I am not sure if addtional bracing would keep those midsections from bowing
Unless you added bracing to all of the seam areas in each corner of the tank? (maybe)
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 10:23am
I know exactly what the tank is doing (my 75 did the same thing) and I would personally not trust it. 

Could make a great sump though! 
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:48pm
i would say more brasing wouldnt help. the damage has already been done and its kinda a time bomb. 30" high tank with 1/2" acrylic is crazy!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:51pm
Being someone that had a tank seam burst and having 120 g of water dumped on my floor, I would not set that up. Really sucks and especially if the seller didn't inform you before hand but that's a lot of water!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 6:54pm
I can build a custom tank if needed pm me...
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 7:48pm
why would anyone design a 225g with 1/2" thick acrylic if it's not even safe enough to hold water??
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 8:31pm
To save money.  Acrylic sheets get expensive, especially with the way gas prices are.  I've seen it happen a good bit...someone wants a bigger tank but can't afford a professional glass aquarium, so they try their hand at making their own acrylic tank.  They don't design it properly and skimp...and voila...a tank that won't correctly hold water.  Not saying that is the case here...just that it happens quite commonly.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic