Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aquascape me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aquascape me
    Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:25pm
So i have recently sold a few large rocks with growth and recieved others i need to do some major restructuring . My sand bed is covered with corals and chalices, i currently have about 80lbs of rock that i need to move and structure to make it look more natural when i place all new corals. Figured while i was at it would remove rock and corals to remove a pesky Damsel. I have a good idea about placement of most new corals but would like some on hand advice help etc.  I am sps dominate with 12 sps and 2 more on the way but have about 30 other pieces that need placement ant help advice would be appreciated . 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:28pm
If you were down my way I would love to help...
How soon are you going to rearrange?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:28pm
Some picks of how things currently are would help.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:33pm
I was hoping to do it sat or sun , Laird i have a link here . Tank threads ...evolution of my first tank  best pics i can do tonight , Its a 72 bow the chalices and a few others are kinda large so flow light etc are an issue for me a I am not real familiar with the names of them or their requirements 
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 10:39pm
all corals not on the sand are on small  pieces of rock so removal from larger rocks and new placement will not be an issue , except for 2 or 3 . Duncan , green  hammer, and candy cane so easily removed . I have several rubber maids to place everything in and will do a 10g water change at same time, yes big job but bet i will be pleased with results with the right help...

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:03pm
Here is what i came up with , any advice before i affix my corals would be appreciated 

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:11pm
Looks good, lots of caves/holes and rock space on top for your SPS. All that matters is if you like it.

Its all personal preference but on the sides I personally like to have my rock a good distance from the glass. Makes it so that when you look at it from the sides it gives you a completely different perspective on the tank.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:16pm
It sits kitty corner on my wall so sides arent an issue just want another rock for on top left, just not as appealing to me as my last structure ......
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:36pm
i think it looks great too!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:40pm
As we talked about on the phone, I prefer as you look at it for the left side to be higher than the right. I don't see a whole lot of change in the scape from the last scape:/ it looks good, I am just not a fan of it being a wall almost?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 9:45pm
I agree but it was getting late like 3am before i got it back in the tank . Time was becoming an issue . I liked the other better so im just looking and trying to piece the puzzle together .was thinking of rolling the big rock on the shelf left onto the other big rock , then adding a bit more rock as i have sold off about 30lbs because of unwanted growth , and a few changes on the right . Wonder if i could support the rock on top of the shelf with branch rock ? 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 10:53am
In my tanks, I'm always changing rock around, because I see where something would look better. The more you do this the better you get at it.

A very nice part of aquascaping is the ability to hide the Powerheads. It's not hard to do. Simply make a notch in the swivel plate so the post can be moved up to push water at a more vertical angle. This makes the stream of water work two ways that are better for the reef; swirling upwaters and gas exchange/pH enhancement 24 hours per day. Smile

I can see that you can very easily move the powerheads straight down from there they are presently placed. Consider moving them around to the back glass then pointing them so the point at the top surface at the front of the tank. Having these jets/streams of water hitting together at the surface makes a really nice turbulence in the water which swirls all around the tank which seems to change slightly, moving back and forth. Try it and you will see what I mean.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 7:20pm
I think it looks pretty good.
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 7:27pm
Hopefully after me stopping by Sunday, Kurt got some ideas of what he can do with the scape:)
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 8:00pm
How about 2 rock 'islands', one taller than the other, the taller one a little further back in the tank than the shorter one?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

How about 2 rock 'islands', one taller than the other, the taller one a little further back in the tank than the shorter one?

That's basically the advise I gave when I stopped by. He has a nice small piece of shelf rock he really likes so I suggested the two island with a "bridge" using the shelf.
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2012 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

That's basically the advise I gave when I stopped by. He has a nice small piece of shelf rock he really likes so I suggested the two island with a "bridge" using the shelf.

Great Minds think alike! Wink
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 7:48pm
Here it is .....2 islands i think lol, Have so much rock think in a 125 g would better . (thats a future project) Corals placed hope u like it I know it has grown on me ...:)
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 7:56pm
I like it. It looks goodThumbs Up
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:09pm
few new additions also

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic