Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY led dummy...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY led dummy...
    Posted: March 30 2012 at 9:10am
Ok, I've decided to take the DIY LED thing. But I have a few dumb questions:
 1- If a use a meanwell eln 60-48d dimmable driver, can I use a manual POT to control dimming?

2- Do I need the additional 1-10vdc power source for reference voltage?

Just trying to figure out the complete list so I don't get sticker shock. None of the kits I see online include a power source, only the wall plug-in wiring.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 1:36pm
1. Yes.

2. Yes.  On a meanwell, the dimmer circuit requires a external power source.  I've seen people use a 9v input voltage because those adapters are more common.  The maximum output power is set by the internal dial so it just ends up tuned for 9v being 100% power.

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:27pm

Thanks!

One other question. Do I need one power supply per driver, or can I power two drivers with one power supply?
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 8:33pm
Each driver uses  ~20-40mA .  Most power supplies are at least 500mA, so there's plenty of room there.

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:06pm
Do you plan on taking advantage of the dimming ability? If not, there are constant current drivers that could save you some money.

I just ordered stuff for my first build. I have dimmable drivers for the display and a constant current driver for my sump.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 11:40pm

Good. I only want to buy 1 power supply if needed.  I do want to employ the dimming. First to make acclimation easier, second to get the color dialed in that I want and third, someday, get a controller for them to simulate sunrise/sunset.

Thanks everyone for the input! any other advise will be welcomed!
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 8:56am
Controllers add a extra level of complexity.

There's a couple controllers that can drive the 60-48D model, and a handful of them that will only drive the 60-48P model.  You need to plan that in advance.

I bought one of the manual dimming kits from rapidled for my stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic