Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Red spot growing on LR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Red spot growing on LR
    Posted: April 03 2012 at 8:28pm
Just wanted to ensure I should not be worried. I am finally starting to see some growth on in my tank. (bits of brown forming on the rocks) and am assuming that's its ready for the clean up crew but there is one spot on the rock I'm slightly concerned about. 

In the picture below it appears slightly more purple than it looks in person I only single it out because of the color difference there is a bit of purple forming over other parts of the rock as well. 

Tank Params: 

4/3
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Salt Content: 0.21

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 9:23pm
looks like coralline algae growth. Its a good thing. coralline can come in different shades of purple to purple-red
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 9:24pm
Purple coralline algae - a good thing!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2012 at 10:00pm
Awesome! thanks, figured if I was going to have a problem I could kill it early but Smile. Snails and Shrimps soon!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:45am
I'm sorry but I don't believe that getting a pat on the back is the right thing to do when it's just not so. I don't believe that's the purpose of your questioning post. It's definitely not the purpose of the WMAS. So I'll tell you the truth, to help you learn to take good care of your new reef aquarium.

That looks to me like Cyanobacteria. See the soft edges. That's the Cyano spreading out. Coralline Algae has distinct hard edges. One way to be certain is to brush it off or to let it diminish/disappear overnight. Coralline Algae doesn't brush off or disappear like that.

Not to worry though, it's not a big deal, not really anything to worry about. I can share with you some things you can do now to ensure it doesn't become unsightly later. From the pic you showed us in the thread about the powerhead, I could make some recommendations if you like. Please let me know.

For now, I'll show you what good Coralline Algae growth looks like when it first starts to appear. This is a piece of Utah Rock at about 3 months in a tank that had been set up with a lot of LS and healthy Coralline covered LR obtained from other tanks. Green Coralline is the first to grow, followed by tiny spots of pink Coralline Algae.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 04 2012 at 12:51am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 2:42am
I have to agree with Mark. That rock is entirely too clean to be growing purple coraline. Just took a look at my most recently added piece of rock, and it looks just like the pic above, covered in green and speckled with pink
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 9:01am
Hrm, ok from what I have read around flow can make a big difference with Cyanobacteria right? I actually ended up ordering a smaller powerhead Mark, when I did the switch on the Maxie jet and directed the flow upwards it ended up turning the top of my tank into old faithful ;) I take it when I am home later I should pop that rock out and scrub that off? 

I guess I assumed the purple was ok because some of the other rocks I have in the tank came with spots of purple on them when I picked them up. 

Also: thank you again for all the help. This board answers so manny questions for me. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 11:44am
I wouldn't mess with taking it out of the water. The Cyano will just return anyway, but there are some things to do with the tank to control the growth of Cyanobacteria, like adding some Macroalgae, a few snails, and some soft corals.

Old Faithful! I was afraid of that. Embarrassed Sorry, I didn't realize the depth of the tank. I was thinking it was taller than that. A MaxiJet 600 would be good

If I am correct that this tank was set up in early February, there are some things that could be added to help speed up the life in it. I would find someone here that has some nice Caulerpa. I would also ask them for some LS from their tank. Some that is well populated with worms and bugs.

I'm guessing that the LR you speak of with some dots of Coralline Algae may have come from the LFS?
I would change out that large boulder rock or break it up with a chisel/screwdriver and hammer.
Even better I would trade it with someone here for a few really good smaller pieces of well colonized pink/purple Coralline Algae encrusted LR from a good reef aquarium. That's the best LR.

My 2 cents Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 04 2012 at 12:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:31pm
Ah ok. I read though the Wikipdeia page about Cyano, its quite an impressive organism! From what I read my nitrate rich (10ppm) environment and lots of light are diving it! I kinda have been waiting till the event tomorrow to pick things up, ill just head down there after work and grab the clean up crew, some zoos and some chaetomorpha if they have it.

When we say a few snails, I assume im not ready for the full crew yet right? Maybe ill half my snail plans and get like two turbo snails, two margarita's and a Cerith. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic