Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acclimate hermit crabs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lukeskybaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeskybaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acclimate hermit crabs?
    Posted: April 06 2012 at 9:48am
My mother-in-law is bringing over a bunch of hermit crabs (in a few minutes) that she gleaned from the ocean. Do I need to acclimate these little guys before putting them in my tank? Are they going to be of any danger or harm to the other animals in my tank?

Edited by lukeskybaker - April 06 2012 at 10:50am
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 9:58am
Harm: Depends on what type of hermits, how big, and what else you have in there. 

She really brought them back? Isnt that illegal? 

Acclimate them like any other invert, slowly. Till temp, PH and Salinity are like your tanks. I usually drip acclimate mine for quite some time. 
lukeskybaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeskybaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:00am
Most people I have talked to say just dump them in, but I thought I would consult the experts on this forum. :)

Edited by lukeskybaker - April 06 2012 at 10:50am
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:10am
I typically just dump them in. Where we're they collected? Any idea on the water temp from the area?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:20am
Lots dump them in. I dont usually dump in my inverts, I have had to many die from doing that. Others have had great success. 
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:06am
I just dump mine in. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 4:03pm
I temp acclimate in the bag then do a modified drip using a turkey baster. It's much faster than drip but not as effective, I still loose one or two. Fish and other inverts I drip and take a bit longer.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 4:21pm
I'm a dumper, but anything else than a hermit crab, i will usually acclimate.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 6:02pm
I'm a dumper as well, but unless they came from Florida waters they are not very likely to live long.  Many people collect critters from the Pacific Coast of the US, but they are cold water animals and usually don't live long in our tropical tanks.  Most need temps below 60 degrees to live long.

Even if they are cold water critters they will still be cool to watch for a while and if they are tropical so much the better.
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 8:20pm
I just toss the bag in to let the the water temps become the same and then dumps awaaaaaay. If water quality is within spec then i see it as less of a shock.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic