Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suicidal Clownfish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suicidal Clownfish?
    Posted: April 06 2012 at 12:13pm
So i've had a black onyx clown in my reef tank for about 8 months and hes never had any issues. The other day i came home and couldnt find him, after looking everywhere i spotted him... He jumped into the overflow and was looking pretty bad. I was worried that maybe something was picking on him or startled him and didnt want him to jump in there again so i put him in my biocube (no other fish in there except a lazy PJ cardinal) but he has done the same thing in there, i have had to fish him out of the return area 3 times just this week. I am going to cut up some plastic egg crate to hopefully keep him out of places he shouldnt be. Any thoughts why he might be doing this?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 9:20pm
He saw all the huge yummy pods and thought he deserved a treat! I have no idea tho. Some fish jump as part of their mating rituals, but clownfish don't to my knowledge. Just one of those things. I found a wrasse living in my plumbing a year later...and all three of my cardinals ended up living in my sump baffles.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 11:14pm
We lost a Vlamingi Tang to suicide recently.... just happens I suppose. I think we will put screens on the upgrade we are working on :).

When we first started in the hobby we had a clownfish that really liked the overflow box, we found him in there all the time until we screened it off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic