Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What camera?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What camera?
    Posted: April 07 2012 at 11:39am
Hello All,

Please help me find a decent not so spendy camera. I dont want blurry pics anymore and I would like to be able to capture fast swimmers. what do you all have or what would you recommend buying. please let me know. thank you!
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 1:39pm
My Daughter has a Nikon something or other which IS expensive but we found hers on KSL for $250. She is able to take pictures of fast swimmers with no problem. 
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 2:27pm
GOPRO HERO 2. You can take 10 pictures a sec. if you like. I think that will capture your fast swimmers.  
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 4:11pm
Getting clear pictures of a fast swimmer has more to do with the size of the aperture, to get enough light to process, and the speed of the shutter than it does which camera you use. Having a nicer camera does give you more ability to change or adjust these settings.

10 pictures a second might sound like a lot, but it really isn't when you consider that most of the pictures I take of the tanks are at a shutter speed of 1/40 - 1/100 of a second.

I am a Nikon man and you can find a great Nikon D70 on ksl for pretty cheap, but for underwater video I was going to get the Gopro hero 2, then for about the same price I got the new Iphone 4S and an underwater case.

Here is a video I took just last weekend.

Edited by ReefOn - April 07 2012 at 4:14pm

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 8:40pm
Thank you Folks,
We know nothing about cameras. The ones I see on ksl are nikon D models,which one is ok? could anyone suggest one from ksl?
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 9:31am
Sorry I am not a Nikon Digital fan, although I was a Nikon 35mm fan. I use the Canon T2i. Its a great camera for a reasonable price. The website dpreview is awesome! Check out the T2i at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS550D  (550D=T2i). The GoPro is nice, but its still a point and shoot camera (Dont get me wrong I think I want one). I think you can get so much more out of a DSLR.  
Gary Finnegan
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 12:07am
for that camera garyf stated, get a canon f/1.8 or 1.4 50mm fixed focal length lens. The 1.4 is one of the fastest you'll find. If you want a fast camera otherwise,  look for one with large pixels. Doesnt matter how many frames per second it can do if you dont have the light to capture it and the sensitivity to keep it. Point and shoots suck for fast moving things, theyre too slow to respond to changing light and focus positions..

Edited by phys - April 10 2012 at 12:09am
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 2:13pm
Canon makes a great camera, but my hands were made for a Nikon.

Carlos - what is your budget? Are you just wanting to take aquarium pics, or are you looking for an all around camera?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 2:23pm
I just bought a new canon.  I have shot Nikon for 15 years though.

My opinion is that Nikons are still the better bang for your buck.  The canon's dont feel as nice to me, but generally are better on paper.  I have shot a lot of both and only went Canon because I am working on film stuff.

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:55am
I dont like nikon for its gimmiky features. Canon has better sensors but the bodies may feel lighter only because i think they got away from that "heavier is better" idea. i've never had a single problem with any of my canons (except when i dropped it out of a truck onto some rocks but was only charged 160 for a full repair).
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

I dont like nikon for its gimmiky features. Canon has better sensors but the bodies may feel lighter only because i think they got away from that "heavier is better" idea. 

Agreed!

The Canon bodies do feel lighter to me. Photographers like "heaviness" since it meant better glass/mirror, especially when it comes to lenses. But with all the composite materials/tolerances that the manufactures are using today, the weight has come down on the bodies.
Gary Finnegan
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 8:05am
I ran over my nikon with a truck and it still worked.  I like a little heavier camera, but honestly to say a nikon or canon is bad doesn't make sense.  Plenty of professionals use both cameras, and both have their ups and downs.  
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

but honestly to say a nikon or canon is bad doesn't make sense.  Plenty of professionals use both cameras, and both have their ups and downs.  

I completely agree with this. For me, a Nikon fits my hands better and the controls feel more natural to me. I have a friend that takes rediculously great pictures with his Canon.

Best suggestion Carlos would be to try and play around with both, and get what works best for you. Both brand cameras are fantastic.

I have a D100 that doesn't seem to want to sell, so you are more than welcome to borrow it for a few days if you want to play around with a Nikon.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 10:32pm
maybe not my best, but the first shot from my new camera.  Just sitting on the couch.

Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 8:55am
Your Boston must be more chill than our Boston.

I have an easier time getting still pictures of the fish with my iphone than the dogLOL
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 3:13pm
Ours is crazy, but very obedient if that makes sense ?
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Melissa Melissa wrote:

Your Boston must be more chill than our Boston.

I have an easier time getting still pictures of the fish with my iphone than the dogLOL

I will deff agree with that. She is bonkers.
Ershaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ershaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 12:10am
Yeah GOPRO HERO 2 may be a good option for your query.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 6:53am
I picked up a Canon S95 a year ago after tons of research. I wanted a point & shoot that could do most manual settings & shoot in RAW...at a reasonable price. Since I do mostly aquarium & scuba photography, I also needed an underwater housing (about $130). There are a ton of threads where professional photographer scuba divers took their S95 and shot the same subject with a DSLR (various Nikon/Canon models). The difference between the photos was not worth nearly an order of magnitude price difference to me.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 3:55pm
Nikon D90 with a macro set lense is what I use... Although it is a pricey camera. I love the quality it shoots.. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic