Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangs Fighting.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangs Fighting.
    Posted: April 07 2012 at 8:35pm
In my tank there is a scopas, yellow, and tomini tang. The yellow and the scopas always fight. Why? I thought you had to keep odd even number of tangs.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 9:54pm
Yellow and Scopas tangs are territorial, aggressive, and in the same family Zebrasoma. Yellows often maintain territories from which it excludes conspecifics and similar fishes. Tank size may also be the problem. 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 10:06pm
75 gallon.... Great yeah i figured taht. :( I need another zerbramosa. I need to get a sailfin, and try to catch the tomini and get him outa there. Would that work??
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 10:14pm
That's a lot of tangs in a 75g tank. That's probably why they are fighting.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 10:27pm
I would suggest holding off on adding any more tangs. Your current ones will probably continue fighting in those tight quarters. After adding our Blond Naso (Mojo) to our 265G, I have a new found respect for their beauty and their swimming patterns. He is out and about all hours- day and night. Try some smaller fish with less aggressive behaviors.

Edited by DLindquist - April 08 2012 at 1:33am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 10:45pm
I agree with Jackie and David, adding another tang will only add to the problems.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 3:30pm
Fish training really works.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 4:41pm
Well i would take the tomini out or swap them since the scopas and yellow are fighting. I have seen a scopas and yellow in a tank before. But they also had a sailfin (zebramosa) I heard i need an odd number of zebramosa tangs to keep the fighting down. If that is the case, i would either get rid of the tomini, and get a sailfin (Very unlikely). Or i could just get rid of the scopas.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 5:26pm
Read the Tip about Fish Training in the Reefkeeping Tips linked below. Look for the Tip "Secrets of Adding New Fish, Fish Training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil. It specifically shows that two Zebrasoma species, if properly trained, can live happily together.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic