Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydroids!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydroids!
    Posted: April 08 2012 at 1:10pm
Couldnlt find to much discussion here on hydoids... I just finished cycling another tank and as i look at the glass i have tons of hydroids. This tank will be a seahorse tank someday and i know that hydroids can be a death sentence to seahorses. On seahorse.org they recommend using panacur treatments to kill the hydroids, but when i look online it all seems to be sold in doses meant for canines (dewormer). Just curious if anyone has had success using Panacur or any other treatment and what dosage is required?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 11:06am
They are common to almost all new tanks but they usually disappear within a month or two. I wouldn't worry about it. It's best to have the tank well seasoned prior to adding seahorses anyway.
Did you use the Four Live Components to start up this tank?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 12:26pm

I had to buy more substrate for the bottom but i seeded with some sand from my main tank. I added LR from  my main and filled the entire tank with water i took from doing water changes in my other tanks. After the cycle finished i then added some macro (will need to buy more here soon) and seeded with more tigger pods. I havent ever worried about Hydriods before in my other tanks as i never noticed the large numbers of them i am seeing in this new tank. And im really only concerned becuase as im researching seahorse care it sounds that stings on the seahorse can lead to serious issues... I dont plan on adding any seahorses for several months, so that i can let all the macro grow and really get the pod population up.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 5:43pm
Thumbs Up
hydroids will be gone by then
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic