Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ricordea Trying to move itself?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ricordea Trying to move itself?
    Posted: April 08 2012 at 8:57pm

I picked up a Ricordea mushroom at Frag Stock and I'm wondering if I have put it in a spot that well maybe it does not like? It *looks* like its trying to move itself. I looked up online essentially how they like to be placed and was advised "low flow" pretty much... 

Here are some pictures, maybe Im just being paranoid. 

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 9:08pm
Many corals will naturally grow toward ideal conditions. SPS in low light and low flow will tend to grow toward the light and out in the flow. Mushrooms will often do the same...and in a more obvious manner. They typically reproduce by moving...leaving a little dot of tissue behind. That dot of tissue willl regrow into another mushroom. Yours could be doing the same. As long as it looks healthy, I wouldn't worry. They're pretty easy to keep.
And btw, that's a Rhodactis, not a Ricordea. :)  (And I like Rhodactis better...they're neat.)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 8:44am
Rhodactis ,<--- awesome thanks! It came on a little frag plug that he is still on, so I hope it is happy where it is I doubt it will be able to go anywhere glued to that thing. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 11:45am
Smile
You are in for a surprise. You think it is permanently glued, but what you may not realize is that all mushrooms behave just like their cousins, the anemones. They move. Glue does not hold them. In fact, I don't usually glue these. I cut them up into many pieces and set them in a bowl of large sand or rubble in a place where they won't blow away. I wait for them to attach, then I superglue that little rock to the place I want it. The mushroom then proceeds to move to where it wants to be.
Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 12:36pm
Strangest plants ever... and I thought Venus Flytraps were badass when I was a kid. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 5:51pm
Ermm Uhmmm, coral are not plants. They are invertebrates; animals without a backbone. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 7:31pm
Yup, glue won't stop it. It'll just leave behind that bit of tissue stuck to the glue...and move on. They can also produce a slime that can allow them to free themselves from the glue. They'll only stayed glued and stay in that spot if they want to.
And like Mark said, they're invertebrates, not plants. They do contain a photosynthetic algae in a symbiotic relationship.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 8:47am
haha awesome. Ill remember that, I keep thinking to my self its a type of mushroom. It must be happy where its at because its still there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic