Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas closing and dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:58am
I was talking about locally
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:09am
Chemi-pure is a polymer in bead form that was developed to remove chemical compounds from the water. Another product that does a similar job and, I believe, a better job is Poly Filter manufactured in pad form.
These products remove medications and some heavy metals, like copper, from the water. Unfortunately they also remove some chemical compounds that are essential for aquarium health. This is why they should be used only on a temporary basis.

I have found these products most useful when old dead dry LR is reintroduced into the aquarium. Dry LR horribly pollutes the water for many months with pollutants that the tank's biofiltration cannot handle. I do not recommend using LR that has been set out of the water and allowed to partially or fully dry, but some of this LR looks really nice so if a hobbyist can't resist adding it to their aquarium, the solution is several months use of Poly Filter or Chemi-pure.

Not every tank reacts the same to the same products, but we have found from some hobbyists experience with Chemi-pure that prolonged use causes coral distress. I cannot say whether Chemi-pure is removing something that some coral need or adding something that some coral don't like.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Taz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I was talking about locally

Try Tropical Fish Wholesale. Not sure if they stock Furan-2 or not but their name showed up on the API site of where to buy.
Tropical Fish Wholesale 12270 S 700 E
Draper, UT 84020
801-571-8500
SirReefsAlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 12:51pm
I have dipped the infected zoos twice. The third will be today. The Radioactive Dragon Eyes and the Green Bay Packers zoos are all completely closed up so we'll see if this stuff works. I have other zoos and palys in the tank. Would it be advised to dip those as well unless they show outward signs of infection?
SirReefsAlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:57am
Tried the Furan and lost all the polyps. I'm thinking there is another problem. My Bio load may be high although my parameters are all near zero. I had some dino, added some phosguard which took care of that. I'm switching it to GFO in the next few weeks. I am seeing some hair algae that is starting to grow and my cheato in the sump grows like crazy. Any thoughts?
I have:
1- Coral Beauty
2- small Firefish
2- small Black Ice Clowns
1- yellow Shrimp Goby
1- Royal Gramma
1- Springers Damsel

1- Emerald Crab
6- blue leg hermits

It is really odd because I have a few colonies of zoos that are thriving and all the SPS are rockin. However, I have some acans that are looking a little anemic as well. I dipped in Revive and they turned around quickly but are now on the decline again. I'm getting a little frustrated..
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 12:06pm
I am in the middle of the same problem....  I had little white spots on my Zoas and they were closed up. 

I treated with Furan-2 last week.  None of my sick Zoas died but only half opened up.  BUT HALF OPENED UP!!!!  I was really excited about that!  I am going to do another 3 day dose this week.  I also bought some CoralRx to try but haven't since I already did the Furan-2.  If the second dose of Furan-2 doesn't work I will try the CoralRx and a Iodine(Lugols) dip. I am also dosing the whole tank with Vitamin C.  Good for the fish and good for the corals.  I got Kent Marine product and use one "squirt" per 50 gallons a day.  Although I have had good results, I am not completely convinced that either did the trick or if it was just the Zoas fighting the sickness.  At least what I did can't hurt.
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 2:12pm
What test kit you using??
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:04am
Just throwing this out there... We were fighting bryopsis a while back, you should look into it and see if this is the problem. We had a huge rock of zoas that were just super angry, always closed, and they were slowly dying off. We finally did some research and asked a friend. He told us it was probably bryopsis. The zoas close up because a small film of algae grows on the head and steals the nutrients. The only way to fight it (that I know of) is to boost your magnesium to 1500ppm. You cant just use basic magnesium suppliments, I was told the only thing that would work is Kents Tech-M Magnesium. It has some added bennefit that actually fights the bryopsis. You have to dose daily until 1500ppm is reached, and then maintain for a certain amount of time. I think we did ours for a week. The rock is recovering now from that. Not all of my zoas were affected by it though, just that rock, and a couple other small frags. BUT, at least raising your magnesium for a few days wont completely jack with other corals, where as using other 'medicines' can hurt our stock. We did try coralrx, and it didnt help. Just an idea, if this has already been looked into, then consider this a repeat or whatever lol. As far as furan goes, someone should educate me on this stuff. IDK what it is or what it does.

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 8:15am
i bet its bryopsis as well, i had the same issue. the funny thing is now my eagle eye zoas have yellow eyes after all my treatments lol. Furan 2 is a good product to have on hand as well. Make it a habit to dip all your corals that go into your tanks to get rid of the parasites, its cheap insurance!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 10:52pm
I think you're right about the bryopsis.  Mine definatly had it.  I am really glad you brought it up, otherwise I would have had no idea.  After the Furan-2 treatments I can see it shredded and all the way gone on most of the zoas.  I still boosted my mag to 1500 though.  Is there a diffenance when you boost it with supplements?  I thought mag was mag....  It IS at 1500 but do you think I shoud get the Kents product???  Should I lower it and then boost it again with the Kents stuff?  Everything is looking TONS better and I haven't lost any(fingers crossed) but I want to do what it best.  Appreciate the advice!!!
Thanks!
Cory
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 10:59pm
As far as I know it's something n the Kent's product that gets rid of it so I would go with it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 4:01pm
Last night when I checked the tank with a flashlight I had some pods on some of my closes zoas....  Will pods hurt zoas?  I am pretty sure they were just "cleaning" up but I am interested in another opinion.
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

As far as I know it's something n the Kent's product that gets rid of it so I would go with it.
Have you had this problem too Jackie? 
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 5:11pm
Every once in awhile I have had issues where certain ones will just die off. Never figure out what's going on and have tried a few things. I had a whole rock of watermelons that came with this new tank and the whole ock died except a small portion I fragged off.
And yes here are some pods that will kill Zoas.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic