Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas closing and dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SirReefsAlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoas closing and dying
    Posted: April 10 2012 at 12:49pm
So, I have lost a bunch of zoos lately. I'm really stumped on this one but I have a few suspicions. I recently switched to LED's on my RSM 130D. I have had them on for about three months, everything has been doing great. Recently, I had been adjusting the output and the lights came on at full strength, (no Lenses), only breifly about 8" from the top of the water. I think that the light just blasted the zoas and they have since started closing up, dying and being eaten by pods and crabs.

So, has anyone seen this? Would this be a good estimation of why they are dying? Params are all good, SPS are doing great, but, I have also seen some of my acans on the sand shrink up a little.  There are some zoas that are doing fine, but now my best colony of RDE is slowing dwindling. They were about half way up.  I have since put that colony on the sand and and I have attached a pic.

CA 400
KH 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
PH 8.3
SG 1.025
MG 1250

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 12:50pm
I also recently added a few new corals and some favia. None of these corals were or are close to the zoas. I read somewhere about possible toxins release by some corals but not sure about the validity. I added Red Planet acro, Ktar Aphrodite favia, Frogspawn, and a couple other favias. 
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 12:56pm
I was having the same problem about a month ago.  I talked to LFS and they had me try adding Marine C.  They have all started opening up again and are starting to grow. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 1:00pm
What is Marine C? I have tried Revive and SeaChem Coral dip to no avail. I haven't dipped the RDE yet. Also, there are no bugs on these zoos from what I have seen. 
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 1:03pm
Here is a link to the info. 
http://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-marine-c.htm 
I was told by the LFS that they dont like most kent products but this one seems to work better than most.  Just what I was told. 
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 1:26pm

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 1:32pm
Ksmart,

About how much are you using per gallon when you are dosing?  I have been looking for something a bit cheaper just was not sure what to go with. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:50am
have you done any water changes recently? mine started to die off there for awhile until i did several water changes over a few weeks. They're big, beautiful and colorful now. also, they may not like the lighting level where they are, i've noticed mine are larger where there is slightly less light.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 5:58pm
Something we should all understand is that basic coral health has absolutely nothing to do with any of the fancy supplemental products manufactured and sold in this hobby. I have never needed any of them and I was making a profit growing coral from 1997 to 2011.

In coral farming I focused on Temp, Salinity, Alk, and Ca. Periodically I would check and adjust for Mg and I. Water changes were 10% monthly. AC (Activated Carbon in a simple floss bag near fast moving water) is a definite must for reef aquariums about 2 weeks per month. Allelopathic Chemicals are everywhere and most can only be removed with AC. Skimming and Algae growth cannot remove the toxins from the water.

In order to best help you, please answer the following questions:
What lights at what wattage were on the tank previously?
When were the new LED's added what color and wattage and how long have they been at what intensity?
How long were they "on at full strength, (no Lenses), only breifly about 8" from the top of the water" and when was this in relation to the Zoanthids starting to stay closed?
How long has the Alkalinity been at 8dKH?
May we see a full tank pic?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:20pm
Umm...zoa pox?  Hard to tell from the photos...but I see it all the time.  Easy cure with Furan 2.  I've dealt with it multiple times...and then also dosed the iHerb.com buffered Vitamin C. 

I don't have any photos of zoa pox, but a google image search should help point you in the right direction.

Also, check the colony for zoanthid-eating spiders...never any fun!

Edited by Reef'd Up - April 11 2012 at 6:21pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 10:06pm
I have examined the latest zoos to succumb to the mystery. I don't see any white spots but will examine closer tomorrow. Each day more close up and whither away. The first set were some peach center that were about half way up. I have 28 3w Cree LEDs, half royal blue, xp-e half white xp-g. I had acclimated for a few weeks and increased the intensity to 55% max. For about a month. White at 1000 mA and blue at 800 mA. The LEDs are close enough to the top that no optics are needed. I ran them at 100% briefly, like one minute but they are very bright. This may have been just a coincidence but the zoos went down from there. The peach died within a week, 15-20 heads. The RDE were fine for a few days then one of them started turning white which was why I thought the light may have done something. I had triple reds near the top that we're loving the light then, closed and started to whither. Some are coming back but they are nearly gone, 25-40 heads. Previously had two coralife 55w t5 in the red sea max standard hood. I have perasraltic dosing pumps for alk and calc so those levels are pretty consistent. I change 10% every two weeks with reef crystals. I have chemi pure elite, Purigen and activated carbon. My SPS are all growing like weeds.

Edited by SirReefsAlot - April 12 2012 at 11:33pm
Taz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 7:48am
I would suspect some type of predator. I have a variety of Zoanthids under LED and all do very well. There does seem to be an adjustment period. At first they shrunk up a bit but after a week or so they came back even stronger than before.

I had similar issues a few years ago and couldn't figure out why my colonies were withering away. Then I noticed a tiny Nudibranch. It was the same color as the Zoanthids it was eating which made it hard to spot. I added a yellow choris wrasse and within a week the Zoanthids were fully extended and growing again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:16am
I took a few pics last night when the moonlights were on. These are with my iphone, so no the best. I am seeing what appear to be small white dots. I do not see any on the triple reds however which were at the top of the tank. I am suspecting maybe the reds and peach got too much light and these dragon eyes are suffering from a disease. That is pretty poor luck to have both scenarios at the same time. Eagle Eyes, colony two is unaffected, the other colony is gone. The zoos in the second pic on the right now have a couple that are closing up. Anyone have an ID on those because I'm not sure what kind they are.

Edited by SirReefsAlot - April 12 2012 at 11:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:19am
FTS from about two months ago

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 4:46pm
AC is a must, but purigen/chemipure has been known to cause problems, especially in long term use. Though it may indeed be disease or predator, I would only use Chemipure for specific situations; 1) where some kind of medication or heavy metal was causing problems, 2) when previously dry, old dead LR that was too nice looking to throw away, is causing problems in the tank (Polyfilter is actually my preferred product here).
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 8:53pm
If I were you, I'd dip in Furan-2 just to see what happens just in case it is zoa pox.  It's pretty cheap...and readily available.  Whenever I get new zoanthids, if they start looking odd and dying, I dip them in Furan-2 (multiple treatments if necessary) and dose buffered Vit C.  Haven't lost a colony since I started doing that. 

I assume you've dipped to check for spiders, right?  No fish or crabs that might've gotten hungry for zoanthids?  Looks like you have a pretty clean tank.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 9:37pm
I dipped revive and seachem iodine based coral dip (not at the same time, or day). I'm in Logan so I had to order some furan from marine depot. Won't be here till Monday. What is the dose/dip ratio for the furan-water?

Mark, what are the problems that arise with seachem/purigen?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 9:45pm

BTW, I've been using that exact protocol since that article was published back in 2007.  It works.  If it doesn't help now, it's good to have the Furan-2 on hand for the next time.

Edited by Reef'd Up - April 12 2012 at 9:48pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:56pm
Where has everyone found Furan for the best deal at?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:48am
Furan is cheap, like $5.99 at Marine Depot and pretty much everywhere. You can find it other places if you want to save like a dollar. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic