Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
twolow4law1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help
    Posted: April 10 2012 at 5:07pm
Big smilecan any one tell me how many gal of water i should be changing for a safe water change. it's a 65 gal red sea thanks. and any ideas on lowering nitrates, i belive they are a little high because of feeding so just wondering if there where any thing to add to the tanks to help like cheto or what ever it is called thanks.
60 gal rimless , 40 gal rimless
120 gal reef
HOOKED ON SALT WATER   801-682-0477
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 5:18pm
There are LOTS of differing opinions on water changes.....

We do 15ish% every month or so. (so for you that would be roughly 10 gallons.)
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 5:19pm
Im one of the newer people to this, but most of what I read seems to be 10% - 20% (6.5 to 13 Gallons from a 65) Chaetomorpha is the full name yes and I believe there was a person in the classifieds seeing if anyone needed some. (link)
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 5:43pm
I do 10% on my aquariums weekly (ideally.)  However, if you need to lower nitrates, make sure your source water is low in nitrates first (RO/DI with very low TDS).  Adequate live rock (not just size...but you'll need a few big pieces to get an anaerobic zone that can reduce nitrates) will also help.  A deep sandbed (required depth depends on sand particle size) will help too. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 6:08pm
so you do it every week or once a month , thanks for the great advice both of you.
120 gal reef
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:18am
Im no expert but IMO water changes need to be done based upon water quality, in a well established tank once a month should be just fine. In a newer tank, or when you notice your params are out of normal range a weekly or biweekly is recommended. I myself do a 10% water change every 2 weeks on all my tanks (becuase im lazy and rely on my new saltwater to replace all the calc and mag).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:03pm
do you do a water change with ro or salt water or does it matter.
120 gal reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:14pm
With Salt water or you will lower your salinity too much. Top off water is only RO water as the salt does not evaporate with the water.
I try to do 10% a week also but it usually is about every two weeks and on my system right now that I moved about a month ago I haven't changed any water yet...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:22pm
+1 I do a 10% weekly so I don't have to dose.... I change my carbon every two weeks. 
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:30pm
I also shoot for 10% every week.  The tank thrives and looks much better with routine waterchanges.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:31pm
Brad do you dose your tank?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic