Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powerhead problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powerhead problems
    Posted: April 11 2012 at 11:42am
Hey guys.  So I JUST got a new protein skimmer in the mail today, got it assembled, washed and put it in my sump.  Plugged it in and it fired right up.  YAY!  Well, I went back 5 minutes later to check on the head and it wasn't running.  I pulled the pump and opened it up, cleaned it out as a little chaeto had gotten in.  Reassembled it and plugged it in.  It fired up and then stopped after about a minute.  help?  And it's brand new, not a reman or used.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 11:54am
Type of skimmer / pump?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:08pm
the skimmer is an SCA-303 and the pump is an aquamedic ph-2500 with a needle wheel.  
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:11pm
make that an atman 2500
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:16pm
I have an Atman 2500 on my Bubble Magus

Is it pinwheel impeller or mesh impeller?

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:19pm
Pinwheel
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:27pm
Ok, good - pinwheels are more durable and are easier to start up.

Remove the impeller and check for any more chaeto or other obstruction. Also check the pump housing cavity where the impeller sits. Make sure the little rubber pieces are on each end of the impeller shaft. Check the impeller shaft to make sure it has not cracked anyhere.

If everything checks out OK, then reinstall the impeller. Make sure you do not set the impeller cover on too tight or it can bind the impeller. Reattach the pump to the skimmer, and put back in the water.

Plug in. If not making bubbles, is it pushing any water at all?

If yes, then blow a little air into the airline tubing and see if that helps. Check the airline for a pinch or obstruction or even salt creep.

If the pump still does not push even water, remove the pump, open the impeller cover, and plug the pump in dry, just to see if the impeller spins or vibrates.

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:41pm
okay here's the update, impeller is intact, no crack.  both rubber pieces are in their allocated positions and evefrything is clean.  If I leave it alone for about 5 minutes and disassemble/reassemble it it ill turn on, but only for about 45 seconds.  Then it shuts off.  It get's surprisingly warm even if I'm testing it in a bucket of cold tap water.  When it shuts down, the impeller doesn't even try to turn like when they get bound, it just sits there dead.  So I'm thinking there's a defect with the pump motor... I'm contacting the seller and trying to get a new pump asap.  The reviews on the skimmer are great and I've only heard good things about the atman 2500 so I'm a little disappointed this is happening right now.  
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:56pm
Sounds like possible a warped or out of round impeller.

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 1:05pm
I think its just a crap motor.  Even if the impeller were warped or bent, it would still TRY to turn right?  Vibration or movement of some kind.... but it just stops.  It runs for 45 seconds or so, and it stops and if you reach in and touch the impeller there's no indication it's trying to move.  
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 1:07pm
Does the impeller pr pump heat up at all?

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 1:13pm
yes.  it gets pretty warm
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 4:34pm
New pump on the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic