Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Move the clam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move the clam?
    Posted: April 11 2012 at 7:51pm
Does any one know how to move a clam if it's attached to a rock?
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:34pm
I had a new clam abandon a nice (for me) little chunk of marble sized live rock and attach to my main structure.  I found this forum through that sounds like you can cut them off as long as you only cut some sort of little thread like filaments he uses to hold on and not the foot.

Mine doesn't need to go anywhere, I was just curious so I have no experience.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 10:00pm
It ts best not to move it, but if you must it can be done.   If you GENTLY attempt to pull the clam away from the rock you will see many hair-like threads attaching the foot of the clam to the rock. These are byssal threads. The threads can be cut using a razor without injuring the clam. When you do this you want the blade to be basically cutting the thread at it's junction with the rock so that there is a lot of distance between the end of the thread and the foot. Do this CAREFULLY and only cut the threads. Do not injure the foot or you can kill your clam.

Edited by kellerexpress - April 11 2012 at 10:00pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 10:04pm
I wouldn't try to get it off the rock if it is stuck with its foot to it. You may damage and kill it .
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 11:33pm
As I stated in your other post, try moving it and risk killing it. I would suggest leaving it where it is. Keep an eye out and from time to time it may release its hold. At that point you can move it. However, they attach once they find a comfortable location. And they are best left be.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 5:07am
Well I guess I can always do some aqua Scaping. I should have thought through where I put it in the first place... But thanks for all the advice!
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
So Clam Happy! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote So Clam Happy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 9:23am
I'm a little late to this party, but the advice thus far is perfect. He is happy where he is at, so he attached. Why move him?

If you were to damage the foot at all during the move, it can easily lead to infection and death. Maximas and Croceas are natural rock dwellers, and like to "bore" into rock in order to avoid predation. Once they have bored in - they are often nearly impossible to remove.

Enjoy your new clam - it sounds like it is already happy in your tank!
I am So Clam Happy - are you?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 9:56am
My clam has been in the same spot for about 8 months and hasnt ever attached. 

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote So Clam Happy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

My clam has been in the same spot for about 8 months and hasnt ever attached. 

What species, and what is it sitting on?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:28am
Clam happy! I bet you sold me your clam!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote So Clam Happy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by the seanze the seanze wrote:

Clam happy! I bet you sold me your clam!

Probably Smile Glad that he is happy in his new home!
faith=fear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faith=fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:55am
This advice won't help now, but thought I'd chime in on what I did with my Crocea.

When I first got my clam I buried a smallish rock in my sand bed with about a 1/4 of it sticking out, placed him on it.  He attached soon after.  now I have the option of moving the smallish rock with the clam attached on it without the fear of damaging the clam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:39am
Originally posted by faith=fear faith=fear wrote:

This advice won't help now, but thought I'd chime in on what I did with my Crocea.

When I first got my clam I buried a smallish rock in my sand bed with about a 1/4 of it sticking out, placed him on it.  He attached soon after.  now I have the option of moving the smallish rock with the clam attached on it without the fear of damaging the clam.
Lol, it's funny you should mention that. I did some aquscaping last night and put  the rock that my clam was on at an angle. The next morning I noticed the clam was way underneath the rock it was previously on. I pulled it out and it was attached to a hermit crab or just a random shell. I think it was a hermit crab because it was so far under the rock. Are clams very mobile? Because this morning I noticed it in a new spot.Shocked Any idea what's going on?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:49am
Originally posted by the seanze the seanze wrote:

Well I guess I can always do some aqua Scaping. I should have thought through where I put it in the first place... But thanks for all the advice!

We brought our clam home about six months ago. I had the perfect spot picked out. I placed him up on a nice open shelf between a couple of chalices about 1/3 of the way up. He jumped down to the sand three different times before I gave in. He's definately not in an ideal location but he's happy, alive and continues to grow.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 12:22pm
Mine is a maxima I believe.  He is on a tonga plate rock. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic