Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local Fish Stores pt 1: Aquatic Dreams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local Fish Stores pt 1: Aquatic Dreams
    Posted: April 13 2012 at 9:49am
Okay im not looking for anyone to bash local fish stores or create huge debates about what one is best... i just want info from personal experiences. I had another post the other day mentioning i had a bad experience at aquatic dreams and it got alot of attention. I will be going back in this weekend and want to talk with Ben, and take a peek at his corals in the back. I hope very much that the customer service is better this time as the last few times they employee's (including Ben) were very rude to me, maybe i just keep going there on bad days? Anyway i want to create a few posts with each of the fish stores for people to posts their experiences and maybe we can all find out a bit more about each store.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 9:59am
I personally think people should just form their own opinions through their experiences. if you are curious about a store, go check it out and see what you think. in my opinion this will just turn into a bashing thread and will not be productive. I understand what you are trying to do but there are just too many different opinions and i don't think anyone should write a store off just because of someone else's opinion. I am willing to bet that you will hear good things about every store and bad things about every store. Sorry i hope this didn't come off rude, or confrontational, that's not my purpose, just wanted to share my thoughts on it.    
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:20am
I think Aquatic Dreams Rocks!

Ryan & Ben have been great to work with

Linn
Pay it forward...
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:04am
i dont think ive been to a single lfs that has done everything 100% right. everystore ive seen questionable items for sale, questionable customer service, and questionable ethics. so Ive always tried to go in taking all that in mind and being educated on what im there looking for and making the best choices i can. The more you visit stores (non necessarily purchasing anything) the more you get a feel for how business is done and how the livestock is cared for. and the more you do that the more the employees get to know you and with that comes the better customer service, deals and so on. im not saying all those things shouldnt be there from the start, but were in a hobby where a lot of people only look and a lot of product gets moved. I imagine finding a middle ground between the two could get hard for employess.
480 in wall in progress
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by griffith griffith wrote:

Linn

+1 for me.  I have dropped by there more than one time close to closing time and they have spent and extra half an hour talking to me about items I had questions on.  That and I must say Ryan is the main reason I enjoy my tank so much. 

Now that I have said that, if are having a tuff time with Ryan or Ben they do seem to take a little time to warm up to some people.  My only complaint might be that some times you can be in there for half an hour before you get to talk to some one.  That is a + and - of dealing with good people that love what they are doing. 

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 12:34pm
I think you will find the overall experiences of people here regarding Aquatic Dreams to be 'favorable' to 'very favorable'...

My own experience there has been great - and I am talking about before I became part of the Presidency

Having worked at an LFS (albeit a long time ago) and being a customer and a hobbyist as well, I think I can see things from both sides.

I think politeness works both ways; yes, employees should try to be courteous, patient and helpful - but customers need to remember to be polite and patient, too.

I have too many memories of customers who were rude in their own ways:

- interrupting a conversation I was having with another customer, because they felt they were more 'important" or just could not stand to wait their turn like the rest of humanity

- blaming the store when they did not follow previously given advice and their fish, etc died ("You never told me that lionfish would eat my clowns!" uhhh, yes I did)

- using the phrase "what's the cheapest" for every question ("what's the cheapest food you have?" "what's the cheapest pump you have?" "what's the cheapest skimmer you have?") then complaining later because that 'cheapest' Seaclone skimmer isn't making a difference on their 120 gallon tank, or that 'cheapest' 50 watt Tetrafin heater won't keep their 125 gallon reef at 77 degress in the wintertime...  I HATED hearing "what's the cheapest?" I LOVED hearing "what's the proper..?" or "what do you recommend?"?"

And we should ALL remember that LFS employees are people, too - and maybe that guy who seems to not know his stuff is new and hasn't been fully trained yet; or maybe that gal that doesn't seem to have time to stand and talk to you for an hour has a sick child at home she is worrying about...etc.

Just some (what I think are) good things to keep in mind...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 12:56pm
I think it would be hilarious to have the LFS' do a customer review!!! Somehow were all perfect right...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 1:37pm
Now that's an idea!!!
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 1:52pm
If driving distance was equal to every LFS in the State, I'd put Aquatic Dreams in first place, my store of choice by far....my only gripe is that it is more of a drive than closer stores....

stores I frequent- Bird World, Fish 4 U, The Aquarium, Reef On/Marine Aquatics, Incredible Pets, Pet Planet, Pets and Such, Reef Runners, Bountiful Petco (Salt Water).....I think live rock n reef is the only major lfs I haven't been to yet...maybe this weekend!

In regards to LFS complaints, I think the world would be a better place if our complaints were made to the store owner rather then on this forum...less headaches for both parties, and more often then not this face Angry would become Embarrassed after talking with store owners about specific issues.  

Edited by bur01014 - April 13 2012 at 1:59pm
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 1:54pm
now onto aquatic dreams specific. my experiences have mostly been positive. ive gotten many fish from them.. 2 very premium snowflakes that would sell individually for over 140 a piece online... got em for 120 for the pair. im pretty much a weekly customer now due to that experience and its only gotten better.
480 in wall in progress
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 2:03pm
Well i was actually hoping about people posting their positive experiences, and insider info, not really bashing the stores. I for one didnt know that Aquatic Dreams had some premium corals in the back until someone said so the other day. All good replies so far!
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 2:47pm
lol i remember the first time i went in the back, i was like.. holy crap so heres where you hiding the good stuff. 
480 in wall in progress
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 5:57pm
Poor Aquatic Dreams.........going to be bombarded with people demanding to be taken to the back to see " The Good Stuff "........ fun times ahead for them.

BTW, as already stated, I don't think you will hear too many bad experiences with this LFS.
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by griffith griffith wrote:

Linn
I have been there many times and I would only give them a 5. Maybe even less. Just my experience. I don't need to "warm" up to someone who is trying to sell a product.
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 9:46pm
Aquarium Masters is awesome as well. Always there to help you and not steal your money.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:20pm
I hit Aquatic Dreams about once a week.  Sometimes I buy and sometimes I'm just looking.  I've always been treated very well.  Ben and Ryan know my name and all the help checks in with me to see if I need anything.  They also know I'm pretty cheap and are good about steering me to some of the better buys for my tank.  I have been to the corals in the back. They have some nice things in their grow-out tanks back there, but I wouldn't say the hide the premium stuff back there.  Great place to shop.
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 8:21am
When I went in I was told the back tanks were their online stuff, but he told me about it with no promoting and took me right back there.   Not a very good secret
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by nsfw dave nsfw dave wrote:

lol i remember the first time i went in the back, i was like.. holy crap so heres where you hiding the good stuff. 

They're "hiding" nothing back there. They are grow out tanks. If people think this is where they hide all the good stuff and people start demanding to go back there, I would shut it off to the public. Once that stuff starts to grow out, and they frag it, you will see it in the frag tank, or in their tank that is reserved for online coral sales.

If there's a specific coral, or type of coral you're looking for, simply ask, if you don't see it in any of the displays. They may have it in the back for fragged, ready to be fragged, or healing. I know it may be hard for some people to believe, but we're all just one person and when running the store, may not have had the chance to move some corals from a grow out tank, etc. to a sale tank, or the frag tank.

"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 10:55am

[/QUOTE]

They're "hiding" nothing back there. They are grow out tanks. If people think this is where they hide all the good stuff and people start demanding to go back there, I would shut it off to the public. Once that stuff starts to grow out, and they frag it, you will see it in the frag tank, or in their tank that is reserved for online coral sales.

If there's a specific coral, or type of coral you're looking for, simply ask, if you don't see it in any of the displays. They may have it in the back for fragged, ready to be fragged, or healing. I know it may be hard for some people to believe, but we're all just one person and when running the store, may not have had the chance to move some corals from a grow out tank, etc. to a sale tank, or the frag tank.

[/QUOTE]

Well said, I was going to say the thing.
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 11:39am
I agree with last two posts. If you are looking for something specific just ask. Or look online. lot of what is back there is grow out. Im sure it is annoying for them. Do you go to a super market and ask to go in back and look at there stock? Or a meat market or any other buisness?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic