Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing & lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PFizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PFizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing & lighting
    Posted: April 13 2012 at 9:51pm
Hi everyone, 

I have found a lot  of great info over the past month.
I'm going to do 90 to 110 gal reef tank and I'm convinced of the pluses of a sump with a 
refugium. But I'm am a little confused about the plumbing. Such as the difference between a open loop 
and a closed loop. I was also wondering what the differences between LED's and T5's. 
Oh yea before I forget I here great things about elite aquatics Skimmers. Is it all true and what would be a 
good pump. Oh yea how does an auto top off work into the picture. I would like to put together a system that can be added to with the proper equipment as needed and contains as many fail safes to protect from total failure.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my first build so I don't kill anything ;)
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:31pm
Lots of questions. That's a great place to start. I would be happy to set up a time for you to drop by my home (in Lehi) and discuss the ins and outs of salt water. We upgraded our 90G to a 265G (400g total water volume) mid last year. Let me know if you're interested.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:42pm
I highly recommend a trip to Daves , he has a great set up and also he sets the bar hight to achieve a beautiful reef. If you want views of other set ups etc try Reef Tour next weekend !!!! You are also welcome to see my 72 bow , 30g sump (elite aquatics) 6x54w T-5, aqua jr dc 8 , dc4, 160 swc, auto top off etc....

Edited by Akira - April 13 2012 at 10:45pm
PFizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PFizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:50pm
Wow I can't believe how helpful everybody is.
I would love to set up some time to get schooled.
I have finals coming up in 2 weeks but will have a week of after that before the summer semester that I would be able to get away.
Thanks for being so helpful
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my first build so I don't kill anything ;)
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 7:29am
With saltwater you get what you pay for! Elite Aquatics makes awesome stuff. I have a ea carbon reactor, calcium reactor and Tyler's latest skimmer.  I would check out other peoples stuff and when you decide what you like hit Elite up and have home make you a sump that best fits what you want to do! 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by PFizzle PFizzle wrote:

...I would like to put together a system that can be added to with the proper equipment as needed and contains as many fail safes to protect from total failure.
If this is a worry, I'd drop the reef aquarium idea and try another hobby.
Seriously, I've run the gamut and found that the easiest tanks to care for have been just plain boxes of water in the window with a shop light modified to run VHO tubes. Keep the fish numbers light and the snail population stocked and the tank will grow and look great for years without much bother. Yes, this is advice from the guy that started the use of Refugiums here in the WMAS (and still recommends them).

Here is one of those simple boxes of water.
Yes, that's me outside the window with a snail on my forehead.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 14 2012 at 11:15am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Originally posted by PFizzle PFizzle wrote:

...I would like to put together a system that can be added to with the proper equipment as needed and contains as many fail safes to protect from total failure.
If this is a worry, I'd drop the reef aquarium idea and try another hobby.
Seriously, I've run the gamut and found that the easiest tanks to care for have been just plain boxes of water in the window with a shop light modified to run VHO tubes. Keep the fish numbers light and the snail population stocked and the tank will grow and look great for years without much bother. Yes, this is advice from the guy that started the use of Refugiums here in the WMAS (and still recommends them).

Your idea of a fail safe system is great idea. Sure, there are no guarantees- but lets start with that.
Your system set up will largely depend on your desired outcome. I am the type of person that likes to continually push the envelope. After 17 years in this hobby, I continually see amazing set ups (both large and small) that blow my mind. Thus, I am always looking to up my own bar. I am not into growing a tank full of softies and snails. In fact, I don't much care for snails. And a lightly stocked tank- hogwash. I say just increase your water volume, add better filtration, increase your skimmer size.... While I can't claim the coveted title of "the guy that started the use of Refugiums" (on WMAS or anywere else) I can say I've had great success in my desired reefing outcome. Not the only way (or even the right way). Just my way. Take a look at a lot of different set ups (hopefully mine included), get an overview of what you like and what that hobbiest is growing, determine your level of commitment and dive in.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

PFizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PFizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 4:13pm
Ok here is what i'm thinking.

I would like to do a mixed reef Sps,lps, softies and invertebrates and my wife and son would be very mad 
if nemo and Dory were not included.
I want to do a large tank cause my wife said I could and I should take her up on that before she changes her mind.Wink I also would like to keep tangs and fish that would feel comfortable as well.
As far as Fail Safes here is what I was thinking as well. I have heard you can start out really with a sump, a return pump and a protein skimmer. I just have not be able to to see how people have plumbed them. I definitely would like to keep a refugium as I see the benefits of the extra biology to the eco system.
I here a lot of people adding a lot of equipment under their tanks and then running out of room. So I would like to plan ahead as to keep a safe power supply to all equipment. I would like to plumb it the first time with that other equipment in mind such auto top off dosing pumps, chiller and U.v. sterilizer, . All though I think the U.v sterilizer would be a begininning purchase as well.
A while back I read an article about the benefits of a raised sand bed using egg crate and some screen and some 90 degree elbows and so now I'm wondering what you all think about that as an idea. If it is a good Idea I have also heard of the benefits of have a raised aqua scape as to not allow detirus to get caught under the rock pile and allow for extra hiding places for animal life.
I have heard of different methods of doing the overflow box like the (Herby) but have no clue yet to whats going on there except its a quieter system. 
I have heard of people using LED's and others using T5'S and yet others using a combination of the two.
I have heard the LED'S are cooler as far as the heat they produce and they take less electricity to run, but I want whats best for the coral. So I would like to your thoughts on that.
Really by fail safes I mean if the power goes out and things like that everything doesn't die and I would like to try to keep large amounts of water of my floor. 
I have wanted to get into this hobby for a long time. I love the idea of having a piece of the ocean and I think it will be a great project for my son and I to learn.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 5:00pm
You should read my tank build thread (still in progress). It addresses a lot of the issues (but not all) that you've brought up. I had very similar questions at first.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41158&title=shaynes-90-build

21G Reefer Nano
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 5:14pm
Best idea- take this list of questions... ask them at every house you visit on Saturday.  That's what I would do because people can answer them while showing you at the same time.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
PFizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PFizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 9:04pm
Thank you for the thread,
I have learned a lot for it and I will continue to follow your updates.
Congrats on keeping with it.
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 8:53am
Elite Aquatics can build you a built in refuge and top off water into your sump as well. He specializes in all in one sumps, just a fyi for ya. He would also be more than happy to show you his tank and how its plumbed with the herbie method.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
PFizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PFizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 4:39pm
Ok So it's been a little bit since I had been here.
I have done a lot of studying to get ready for finals and have the day off work
To Go on the REEF TOUR.Hug
I am totally stoked for this.
I would also like to thank all of you for the thread I have been linked to I think I have learned so much.
So What have I learned.
I don't think I will be doing a raised sand bed rather opting to do a 2-3 inch sand bead. I have been told by LFS guys that a U.v sterilizer was a must have but have learned that with a good bacteria start its not really needed tell latter. I will get one eventually but will probably only run it a day or 2 out of the month.
Here is a great question though. How does everybody feel about LED's opposed to T5 lighting? I here LED's are fairly new and I was just wondering whats the real deal.

McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 4:55pm
This is a recurring conversation in my house:

My husband: Honey, ask on the forum___________ (fill in the blank)
Me: Well, what would you like the answer to be?
My husband: Why?
Me: Because no matter what you want the answer to be, I can find at least 5 people on the forum who will give you that answer, so I can stop when I get them.

The point being, everybody does it different, and most of us think our way is the right way.... I agree with Adam, go on the reef tour.... SUPER glad you were able to get the day off. Pick the systems to you want to most closely mimic, and then get your answers from those people.

And don't forget to go see Mark's tank in Hawaii!! But you have to buy the plane ticket for me too!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:33pm
As far as lighting goes I love my T-5's, with that being said i continually read about DIY and new led versions available today. I would love to leap to led's but for me the power savings would mean years of running them to justify the cost to get them now . So with that being said I think they will only get better and the price will become more affordable for the average hobbyist. Notice newer version are using reds etc not just whites and blue.........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic