Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identify this algae?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 12:14pm
It grows in my fuge, and has for a long long time. I've never once seen it in my main tank tho.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 1:59pm
No offense taken.  No worries.  I have only been keeping salt and coral for 2 years and there are far more knowledgeable people than I.  But any of us can likely claim to know a lot about something and little about others.  I learned a lot about invasive macro alga and their eradication while dealing with a bryopsis outbreak of my own.   I developed a somewhat personal relationship with John Maloney at reefcleaners.org and he helped develop my knowledge.  He's a great resource and his prices on snails and clean up crews cannot be beat.  He is a good knowledge base and always willing to help.  I recognized your algae from my research and offered my assistance.  I think your course of action is right on track, and I bow to mark's knowledge.  He's a smart guy!  Get a bunch of those BIG turbos and they should munch it down well.  Maybe throw one of your tangs in the sump for a little while?  LOL  good luck!
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 5:13pm
I have dealt with a algae similar to this in the past.   Grew like crazy in the main tank but not in the refugiums. Mexican turbos finally took care of it, but unfortunately bubble algae ended up taking its place. I

So removal is definitely only part of the problem.   Keeping something else from taking its place (by growing more desirable algae) would be a good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic