Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Saturday Excursions!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Saturday Excursions!!!
    Posted: April 19 2012 at 2:48pm
Danh and myself are in charge of planning Saturday events this year. So we are looking for some ideas. They can be fish related or non fish related. Like Danh wants to go to Vegas! I know in the past we have had behind the scene tours at the Living Planet Aquarium, trips to Sea Base, tour of Brine Shrimp Direct, and trips to get Utah sand and rock for our tanks. So please post your ideas and we can start planning!!!

Thank you!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 3:22pm
Those all sound fantastic!  I may head up the Vegas trip for you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 3:25pm
I think you posted a couple of good ones. 

LPA tour (that is already happening) 

Sea Base

Brine Shrimp Direct

Utah Sand/Rock 

I think with all for of these done in the remaining 8 month of this year would be awesome! You might not get a ton of people on some of the days but hey I think even 10 or so would be great! I would do Sea Base, and The rock hunt in the warmer months though ;) 

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 4:43pm
Not sure it is feasible but it would be cool to see some of the behind the scenes stuff from our LFS, how they buy their stuff, acclimating, how they maintain their show tanks, schedules and so forth. 

Another kind of out there, not sure how feasible but kind of like how they do those one day barn raising, it would be cool to see a large tank move or build in a day (help out, or limit number watching).  Gives you some first hand knowledge and a chance to give back. 
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 2:10pm
Lets go scuba diving at Sea Base. Afterwards, I could show you the two 3 meter atmospheric Cerenkov telescopes (ACT) that we have parked on the south end of sea base. For more info check out:
http://www.physics.utah.edu/starbase/
Gary Finnegan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by GaryF GaryF wrote:

Lets go scuba diving at Sea Base. Afterwards, I could show you the two 3 meter atmospheric Cerenkov telescopes (ACT) that we have parked on the south end of sea base. For more info check out:

Paul- your thoughts?

I'm so in for this!

Adam
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Originally posted by GaryF GaryF wrote:

Paul- your thoughts?

I'm so in for this!

Adam

I love the idea let do it!!! What do we need to do to set this up?
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:19pm
What is sea base it sounds cool ? and where is it ?

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 3:15am
Sea base in Tooele county out near Grantsville. Here is a link to their website:
http://www.seabase.net/
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 9:48am
It would be good to have Paul (phys?) there too. Keep in mind the telescopes there are not type that one can actually look through, so sun light hours are okay. It looks like most of my Saturdays in May and June are open. Give me some dates and I can coordinate the telescope part and talk to Paul (I do see him at the U often).  
Gary Finnegan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 2:37pm
These are fantastic.  I spoke with the owner of Seabase and they are excited for this as well.

Arthur/Danh- I say take any of these ideas you have and run with them.

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 2:46pm
By the way, the behind the scenes rooms of The Aquarium are awesome.  Not sure if Brad/Nick would be willing to let people back there... but if so... that's a cool Saturday event.

Adam
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 9:06pm
Everything sounds great, but Vegas would be much better and we can visit ATM there.

Fun bus to Vegas!!
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 12:35pm
Sorry, with new baby I didn't keep up on this! Lets get this going again!
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 7:44am
Here's an idea - collecting live Brine Shrimp out of the Great Salt Lake

Once or twice a summer I take my kids to Antelope Island and we take buckets and nets with us and spend an hour collecting live Brine Shrip.

It's easy and the kids have a blast

We then take the buckets home - rinse the Brine and put them in zip-lock bags, and then place them in the freezer and we have free frozen food for a year.

It does cost to go out to the island -- $9 per car.

Just a thought

Linn   
Pay it forward...
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 9:35am
Not to resurect a stale thread but do these Sat. events still happen? 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 9:51am
Yes they do! We have a ton of events planned or being planned!

Edited by ReefdUp - February 18 2013 at 3:24pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 2:33pm
*Correction:  Reef Tour is May 4th this year!
Mark your calendar!

Big smile
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic