Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anemone caught in pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anemone caught in pump
    Posted: May 08 2012 at 11:42am
If not, then try to change the water flow direction by placing the powerhead at the other bottom end of the tank, shooting close to vertically up.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 7:50pm
Ok, one last try.  It has been in this spot for over a day now, so hopefully it will stay there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 1:59pm
I think I had too much flow where it was at.  It stayed retracted all the time, so I moved the pump away, and it started moving around the tank again.  Once it came off, and was floating around the tank.  I have tried rearranging the rock, and water flow, but it ended up back by the overflow.  That seems to be the only place it likes.  Maybe it can attache better to the glass?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 8:25am
Well I left the pump on, and just checked a couple times to make sure it wasn't moving.  So far it hasn't moved, but the flow is so high it has blown all the sand away.

The lights aren't on yet, and this picture was taken with a flash.  I am hoping once the lights come on it will extend out further.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Looks real good to me. See how it's still hydrated, even the bubble tips and how the foot is hydrated and openly searching for an acceptable surface.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Big smile

Yes, it retracted when I first pealed it off, but seems to recover very quickly.  I had to move some rocks around a little more to keep it from moving to the back (it was heading to the power head in the back of the tank that shoots up to the surface, but it is anemone safe), and turned on my pump (the one it got stuck in!!!) to increase the flow around it(it really seems to like high flow areas).  But it is looking very happy where it is now....lets hope it stays there.

I am not sure if I should shut my pump off at night (since I can't keep an eye on it).  Or if I should leave it on to keep it in place. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Fish Mama Fish Mama wrote:

And I thought the drive to Idaho would be the anenome ,s worse stressor

yea, that was nothing compared to getting stuck in a pump...  But it seems to have handled it well and is looking as good as new.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 5:50pm
Looks real good to me. See how it's still hydrated, even the bubble tips and how the foot is hydrated and openly searching for an acceptable surface.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 01 2012 at 5:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 4:14pm
Well I got it moved.  It didn't like it much, and is not attached to anything yet, but I hope it likes it here....

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:34am
Hi Fish Mama.
For y'all reading this, Fish Mama is one of just a few hobbyists that has been with our group since the early days.
Smile
To answer some questions, yes an anemone can slip through a 3/8 inch slit, in fact it can slip through a 1/8 inch slit. A screen cage hanging about an inch distance all around the circular overflow would keep an anemone out. The distance is important. The suction flow is strongest right at the overflow and decreases with increasing distance from the point of suction.

Oh my goodness, in that last pic, the anemone is perfectly situated to be scraped off the glass. Using a metal algae scraper blade (Kent Pro Scrapers are awesome) or even better, a single edge razor blade (in the paint dept. at hardware stores a small plastic single edge razor blade holder/scraper for just a few bucks) scrape that anemone cleanly off the glass. In this case you'll want to scrape close enough to get the coralline algae off the glass. The anemone will come off with the coralline algae. Sometimes anemones don't even close up while they are being scraped off with a sharp metal blade.

The reason the anemone has chosen that spot is twofold:
1- They like to live in caves/dark places for protection. They can easily stretch out to reach the light, but shrink back into the dark hole for protection from predators (puffers, turtles and the occasional butterflyfish) and to ride out a storm/rough sea.
2- They like to stretch into smooth moderately strong current where food is flowing past. The food they absorb is most of their diet. Since an anemone is really just one huge coral polyp, it needs dissolved nutrients for the zooxanthellae algae living in their tissue. Secondarily, their tentacles armed with tiny harpoons can catch dead/almost dead meat that flows past in the smooth current.
Big smile

Oh, I almost forgot. With the rocks, make a cave area where the water flows smoothly past. After scraping the anemone off the glasss, place it there in that cave area. If it's done quickly right after scraping off, holding it in place with your hand for just a few seconds may be enough to let it attach to a rock. Otherwise, just place it between two rocks to hold it in place. Don't worry about squishing it between the rocks. It cannot be squished.
Clap
Clap

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 01 2012 at 10:42am
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 6:50pm
And I thought the drive to Idaho would be the anenome ,s worse stressor
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Davidwillis Davidwillis wrote:

I was hoping it would move to a better spot, but it seems to like it here.  Even though it has to really stretch to get light...

Mine was attached on the back of a rock, and had to extend at least 9 inches to get light on the other side. Sometimes these things find the most awkward positions to attach themselves in and somehow like being there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 3:58pm
I was hoping it would move to a better spot, but it seems to like it here.  Even though it has to really stretch to get light...

Side view

front view

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 5:26pm
The overflow is a slit about 3/8" tall, so I don't think the anemone could go all the way through, but I am not sure of that.  I know none of my fish will fit through (there is a top piece I have off in the picture that encloses it so a fish can't jump in).  I think I will try and put a screen around it anyway.  If it went for a ride down the overflow it would end up going into my skimmer pump which would kill it for sure.

I have been running my return pump, and keeping an eye on it.  It has moved down just enough so it has not been going in like the earlier picture.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:26am
In that case, the anemone likes the flow and because it is healing/recovering from getting stuck in the pump, I'd probably leave it alone for a week. The tank will be fine without external Hiatt filtration for as long as it takes for the anemone to move. I'm thinking that it likes high flow or that it wanted the high flow to help it heal. In this case I'd try moving the pump away instead.
It looks like the drain is open. If the top comes apart, I'd design a screen to go around it to avoid future worries.
Where would it go if it took a ride down the drain?
It's hard to be patient. After a few days the anemone is actually recovered enough to be carefully scraped and pulled off the drain. To remove Anemones from smooth surfaces I usually use my thumbnail and/or a blade algae scraper, little by little.
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 24 2012 at 10:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 7:41pm
I tried it again today with the pump about twice as far away, but he is not moving....Unhappy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 9:03pm
I moved that pump in the picture to the front of the tank, and pointed it to the anemone (about 11 inches away).  It was really creating some flow, and made the anemone retract, but it did not move. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 8:16pm
Too close?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 7:26pm
I have had a power head pointed at it for about 5 hours, and it is not moving.  I turned it off, because it was shriveling up, and I am afraid it will kill it.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 9:14am
Turn a pump to shoot directly at it and it will move away.
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 5:28pm
That thing looks fine to me. I have had anemones that looked a lot worse than that turn around and be fine. Its frustrating but looks like you have things under control. Now just wait.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic