Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purple Tip Blueberry acro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purple Tip Blueberry acro
    Posted: April 23 2012 at 8:08am
So when I bought this 400 gallon tank, It came with a lot of unknown corals. One of these was a giant acropora that was browned out. It had some clown gobies living in it as well. They did not survive the trip and the overnight stay in a 44 gallon trash can. So the Acro sat in my tank and grew to about 21" across and suddenly, green polyps began extending and though it was brown, when the polyps extended, it was green. Then the arms changed color. They were violet/blue and on the tips, purple. I kept trying to get a good camera over here to get some shots because this was a show piece. I scoured the web looking for a match for it and came across the Purple Tip Blueberry Acro. It was a perfect match. One day, doing some tank maintenance I bumped it and a frag broke off. I set the frag high on a shelf of rock and it was swept into the embrace of my Duncan colony. I noticed it about an hour later and plucked it out and just sat it on top of the Acro that it broke off from. What happened next was a nightmare. The next morning there was a dead patch where that frag was sitting. about the size of a computer mouse. The entire colony was spewing a thick slime coat that was streaming off of it. I pulled that frag off and put carbon in a reactor in my sump, checked params. Nothing else in the tank was having any issues. I have about 525 gallons of total volume. Skimmer was running, Macro Algae was growing and all my corals seemed happy. The next morning, it had a dead patch double in size. I decided to clip it high and away from the die off. I pulled the rock it was on out of the tank and let what was on it die after clipping a dinner plate sized frag. 8 hours later I thought we were good. the next morning, half of it was dead. So again I clipped as far from die off as I could. This morning all that is left is 5 frags. None over an inch. All from the very tip of the colony. the newest growth. I will post pics when I get back from work. The rest of my corals are still happy. All this from coming in contact with Duncans?
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:34pm
No sure but if you want some insurance on that piece i'd take a frag.
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 11:37pm
OMG so sad !!!! what a great piece to lose !!!
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:07pm
that so sux!!
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:09pm
That's terrible man, sorry I don't have an answer for you.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 10:27am
No idea- totally sucks.

I had a Millieopra that I adopted that came to me almost white, little to no flesh and ZERO polyp.  It was in my tank for about 3-4 months and starting to actually grow and maybe just maybe color up when I did a water change and all the sudden it starts to shed JUST like your describing, and the next morning all that was left was a super BRIGHT white skeleton.  NOTHING else even blinked, and I have other Millie/Acro/Monti/etc etc etc.  Totally random, its been 2 weeks now and tank is 100% perfect but for that coral, which is still bright withe so I am kinda hoping it left a tiny bit of flesh and maybe will come back.

Random, aggravating, unpredictable.  Take solace in the likely hood that the rest of your tank didn't notice and will probably be fine.  Sorry, I lost a tiny frag that I was rescuing, yours is much harder to take.  Hope the rest truly didn't notice and all is well.  Unsure but with Acro's my impression is a dead skeleton is a dead skeleton and there is no value to it other than as base rock, i.e. not going to reproduce from it like a plate coral might... is this correct????  Acro reproduce by spawning so I think this is correct.... 
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic