Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

maroon clownfish problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: maroon clownfish problems
    Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:48pm
so we recently bought another maroon beleived to be a gold striped juvi just like our other. at first our first clown beat on the new one expected but two days now and roles have reversed. the new one has beaten our old one and taken its large BTA. idk what to do. take out the new one put a mesh divider in or what...i finally rearranged what live rock we have to have an anemones on both sides and our first clown finally found the small RBTA and seems ok but im worried when i go to work tomorrow and my lights come on the new one will kill her.
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:50pm
I've never heard of anybody who had success adding two maroons at separate times, although I am sure it has happened before.

How big is your tank? Maybe they will stay on either side, but I doubt it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:51pm
its 46 bowfront. they are both still juvis. our first is just starting to show the gold on its head. the other i was told is a juvi gold striped but im starting to think its just a white stripe
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:11am
Clownfish are like that. It takes time for them to establish their relationship.
What size are they? Which one is the larger one, the new or the old?
Unless one of the clownfish is a lot larger, like more than 1.5 times the size, it is very unlikely that it will actually kill the smaller one. What you are seeing is normal behavior for clownfish, though it's more pronounced in Maroons. They are the worst bullies of all clownfish. Ouch
Did you acclimate the new one by placing it in a container for a few days?
Did you feed more food for 2-3 days prior to adding the new clownfish and a day or two after introduction?
Are you using Garlic Oil marinated without water in their meaty frozen food?
After introduction, have you used the fish training technique described in the Reefkeeping Tip "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil"?

To comment on McClure's statement, it actually happens a lot.
Those hobbyists that come here prior to doing things to their tank can receive advance guidance and tips on how to prepare for success.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 8:40pm

they have come to terms right now. one gets the large BTA on the left and the other gets the small RBTA on the right....they havent beaten on each other all day.

mark- they are still small juvis. the older one is an inch the new is 1 1/2 inch
i did acclimate the new for awhile yes
i did feed my first more before we added the new
i did not use garlic oil no.

but thanks for asking all those questions
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 11:39am
Good.
There are lots of us that have found the use of Garlic Oil to be indispensable for all new fish. I very strongly recommend it. Follow the instructions in that Tip below.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:51am
I have found Maroons to be the exception when pairing. When two maroons share limited space the usual result is continuous confrontations. Neither fish yields, and the threats become all out warfare. They then will need to be separated. When pairing Maroons they need to be of unequal status, that is a tiny Maroon paired with a large one. The smaller one will usually yield in short order without life threatening confrontations. The greater the size difference the better. 2.5" is usually large enough to intimidate one smaller than an 1.25". I would leave them together and keep a close eye on them, if the aggression gets worse they will need to be separated.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:25am
Update
They both have their own anemone nd havent bothered each other for 2 days. They swim up to each other and actually gently rub against one another then go to theirs anemones. I feel so much better
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:03pm
Awesome.
Sounds like a good pair, but don't be too surprised. A lovers quarrel can happen at any time. Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 1:02pm
i know lol i just hope they can get along and share an anemone in the future
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:21pm
It can take a long time for them to decide to come together. There are several techniques that can help. The easiest techniques involve posting pictures on the tank for the fish to view.
- Pics of an anemone with a pair of hosting clownfish. Asad posted an awesome pic of a pair of maroons in a BTA on the reef. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55578
- Pics of a predatory fish, more useful for getting fish to initially host but also helps them come closer to each other.

Some might say to remove one of the anemones. I would not do that too early in their relationship. The dominant female will take the sole anemone and may not be ready to allow the male in. Without an anemone, he will have nowhere to go for safety. This will only cause unneeded stress for him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 8:47am
update: they have come to actually like each other. as you can see in the pic they are now hosting the large BTA but our first gold striped maroon still hosts the RBTA every now and then. it was funny actually id walk in and it would rush over to the RBTA then id leave and peek around the corner and it would swim over to the other nem and they would be completely fine. id walk around the corner and bam back to the RBTA. lol now they dont care if anyone sees their secret love. they are happier now that they are in "love"
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 11:46am
Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic